Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon PIXMA Pro-200 not working with 11.4 big sur

After updating my iMac to latest version of Big Sur (11.4) my Canon PIXMA pro-200 suddenly started interrupting print jobs. Have been sent a new printer from Canon after running pretty much all tests and checking all connections before sending it to their repair center. Have also replaced my old wifi router to make sure nothing is interrupting the communication between the router, printer and computer.

First thing I did after receiving the new printer was to reset the printing system and downloading the latest driver from canon, which they explained would certainly solve my problems. The prints are still interrupted after 10% of the printing job with the error message "cannot add document to print job"....

Anyone else having the same problems with Big Sur 11.4 and a canon printer, and if so, do you have any tips on how to solve it?

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 1:39 PM

Hi,

Was that the PRO-200 CUPS Printer Driver Ver.22.20.0.0 (Mac)? Any change using the driverless AirPrint technology instead (the PRO-200 is mentioned as a supported model in About AirPrint - Apple Support)?

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/#Pmac

3 replies

Jul 4, 2021 3:04 AM in response to magnus31

Thank you for the report. I cannot immediately explain this. As you said, magic? :-)

Just as a comparative test, you could perhaps print from an iPhone/iPad alone (without an extra app). Then, the computer and the CUPS driver in question would not be involved.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, the following procedure sometimes helps:

Power off the router, the printer, the computer, and all other devices. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on all other devices.

Anyway, glad to hear that your printer is working now.

Jul 4, 2021 1:03 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for a quick reply,

I have been struggling a bit with the setup and unfortunately the "secure AirPrint" driver re-creates the initial problem. However, what happened to be the solution was to install the CUPS Driver Ver.22.20.0.0 and then installing the "secure AirPrint" driver. So all in all two separate printers installed. Somehow, and this can be due to a level of ignorance or lack of skill, solved the problem. In essence using the printer installed with the CUPS driver works as long as there is another installation with the AirPrint driver. When I remove the AirPrint printer the CUPS printer will not work, and the AirPrint version will not work alone either.

My impression was that one separate printer installation draws from that driver package associated with it, somehow what I can see is that somehow the AirPrint creates the connection to the printer but CUPS driver delivers the printing service. Or, it is just plain magic that made it work again :) However, thank you for your reply, it didn't directly solve my problem, but helped me on my way of setting up this magic machine to deliver photo prints again :)

Canon PIXMA Pro-200 not working with 11.4 big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.