Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Dolby Vision Weirdness

Okay, when I try to Enable Dolby Vision or HDR in settings it never works. But, when I play movies I bought in iTunes that are either Dolby Vision or HDR, they play correctly. The Dolby Vision or HDR logo shows in the top right when the movie starts.

I have the new Apple TV 4K, LG C1 OLED, Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver. I'm using a certified 8K cable from the receiver to the TV, same for the Apple TV to the receiver. I'm only using a certified 4K cable for my Sony 4K player and it works fine.

What gives? It's not really a problem because it works, but I'd feel better if it worked like it was supposed to in the Apple TV settings.

Apple TV, tvOS 14

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 5:04 PM

I just found the solution in an answer you gave elsewhere on June 2nd. I was unaware that the Yamaha receiver had an Advanced Setup menu available from the front panel. I think that since the 7810 did not ship with Dolby Vision it was set to 4K Mode 2. When the firmware came that enabled DV, the user needed to switch it to 4K Mode 1. I didn't have DV back then so I don't remember any specifics about the update.

So thank you for the answer Urquhart 1244.

Debubbing HDR on Apple TV

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2021 5:04 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I just found the solution in an answer you gave elsewhere on June 2nd. I was unaware that the Yamaha receiver had an Advanced Setup menu available from the front panel. I think that since the 7810 did not ship with Dolby Vision it was set to 4K Mode 2. When the firmware came that enabled DV, the user needed to switch it to 4K Mode 1. I didn't have DV back then so I don't remember any specifics about the update.

So thank you for the answer Urquhart 1244.

Debubbing HDR on Apple TV

Jul 2, 2021 12:42 AM in response to Jyroflux

You may have reached the limits of the video settings, where 60 (or 50) Hz + HDR, in combination with other video parameters, is more than at least one of the devices can handle.

One possible cause could be the chroma setting. 4K + Chroma 4:4:4 + 60 Hz + HDR would require more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0 can provide. Instead I suggest using chroma 4:2:0 (no quality loss), as all streaming video is encoded as 4:2:0 anyway, which reduces bandwidth by half (!), leaving enough room for 4K + 60 Hz + HDR.

Streaming content from the iTunes Store may have a lower frame rate (often 24 fps (or Hz)), causing the HDMI signal to dip below the limits for HDMI 2.0 when Match frame rate is active.

There is something to be said for using a default SDR video setting, and only switch to HDR for HDR content (Match dynamic range). Artificially upscaled SDR to HDR looks somewhat unnatural to me, but you do what looks good on your TV.

Jul 2, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Exactly. I have my Apple TV 4K 2021 set to SDR with both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate enabled. My Denon AVR is set to passthrough. When I play Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos content the Apple TV negotiates a connection with my Sony TV and it switches to whatever the signal coming in is.

Interesting sideline is that virtually 100% of movie content is 4K/24 which is the industry standard for movies. European content often displays 4K/50 and other content shows 4K/60. It takes a few seconds when switching from one format to another. I prefer this over setting a single frame rate and dynamic range that manipulates the incoming signal

Jul 2, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Urquhart1244

So even though the TV and the Apple TV have HDMI 2.1 and the receiver states "6-in, 1-out HDMI with 4K Ultra HD pass-through and upscaling, plus Hybrid Log-Gamma and Dolby Vision" (they never state HDMI version, thought I'm sure it's 2.0) as well as "4K Ultra HD Pass-through and Upscaling 60p 4:4:4" I've reached the limits? I have to admit I'm a little behind the times, the LG C1 replaced a Panasonic Plasma circa 2008 (that is still going strong) because I wanted to move to 4K.

I'm unable to change the chroma setting beyond 4:2:0. Like I said, everything works, but when I see YouTube videos where Dolby Vision, and 4:4:4 work I have to wonder what's off with my setup. I guess I should try temporarily hooking up the Apple TV directly to the TV to see if I can enable Dolby Vision in the settings.

I agree with you that the default SDR setting is probably the way to go and I'm inclined to just let it be. Thanks for your reply.

Jul 2, 2021 1:05 PM in response to Jyroflux

You need to make sure that your LG supports Dolby Vision and that it is enabled on the TV. In my personal case I could not get Dolby Vision to enable on the Apple TV 4K even though the specs on my Sony XR-X6590J TV said it did. After reading another user post about their Sony TV I finally found the option buried deep in a submenu in the HDMI Video signal section. Once I enabled Dolby Vision on the Sony the Apple TV 4K popped right up into Dolby Vision. Apparently some TVs don’t have Dolby Vision enabled by default. At least that’s the case I found with my 2021 Sony TV.

So you might want to dig around a little in your LG’s menus or owners manual to make sure. Just a thought. Luckily my Denon AVR reports both the incoming signal from the Apple TV and the outgoing signal to the Sony TV in detail, including frame rate, color depth bits, dynamic range (HDR, Dolby Vision, and Chroma.

It’s been quite a learning experience for me finding out nothing is cut and dried, or simple when it comes to this stuff. Every streaming box and every TV does things a little different.

Jul 2, 2021 4:20 PM in response to lkrupp

The TV, receiver and Apple TV all support Dolby Vision. I've been through every single menu on all three devices and made all the appropriate choices when available. I'm using AmazonBasics Premium 48Gbps High-Speed 8K HDMI Cable from the Apple TV to the receiver and from the TV to the receiver. I'm at a loss to figure out what else I could possibly do.

Jul 4, 2021 5:55 AM in response to Jyroflux

I’m glad for you. Why all these modern devices don’t use some standardized method to set things up is beyond me. We see all manner of posts from confused users who can’t get their equipment to work like advertised. The interactions between a streaming box (Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc), an AVR (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc.), and a TV (LG, Sony, Samsung, TCL, the list goes on) is bewildering. Every manufacturer seems to do things their own way and the end user gets to sort it all out, often throwing up their hands in disgust and anger. Those who stick with it, like yourself, get a quick education in the myriad of menus and settings that eventually make it all work.

We’re lucky to have people like @Urguhart1244 and you who don’t give up. Thank you for the troubleshooting link you provided. It will certainly help someone else in the future.

Apple TV Dolby Vision Weirdness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.