Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i connect iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) to mac mini in order to use my imac as a monitor

i want to connect my old iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) to new mac mini (not m5 chip version) in order to use my imac as a monitor, but i'm confused by the ports on imac and mac mini - i thought i could connect thunderbolt 2 on the imac to thunderbolt 3 on the mac mini, but apple don't seem to have a cable like this available - so i thought i'd connect thunderbolt 2 on the imac to hdmi on the mac mini, but again this doesn't appear to be available anywhere - can you help?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 6:00 PM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2021 6:05 PM in response to superderv

Hello, superderv.

Here are the rules for Target Display mode on iMac:

click> Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier; it does not work with macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, or with Boot Camp and Windows.*
  • Retina display iMacs won’t work as target displays.

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

Jul 2, 2021 7:58 AM in response to superderv

superderv wrote:

Hi thanks for that p- the online advice seems to think that one can connect the thunderbolt 3 on mac mini to hdmi on imac (when using imac as a display) but i take your point that it may not work - thanks for the url, that item is an adapter - it's actually a t2 to t3 cable i need, not adapter - the adapter is male and female, i assume i need male and male to insert into the female ports on the mac mini and imac... so i was looking for a male > male cable, rather than an adapter, if you get me.

You need the adapter as no such cable exists.

I spent a long time trying to find one to connect my M1 MacBook Air to my 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display.

There is no other way than using the adapter and a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable.

Jul 2, 2021 4:48 AM in response to woodmeister50

Hi thanks for that p- the online advice seems to think that one can connect the thunderbolt 3 on mac mini to hdmi on imac (when using imac as a display) but i take your point that it may not work - thanks for the url, that item is an adapter - it's actually a t2 to t3 cable i need, not adapter - the adapter is male and female, i assume i need male and male to insert into the female ports on the mac mini and imac... so i was looking for a male > male cable, rather than an adapter, if you get me.

Jul 2, 2021 10:21 AM in response to superderv

superderv wrote:

o dear, it looks like i can't buy a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 2 (both male) cable from apple... ouch

The adapter's USB-C connector plugs into the Mini Thunderbolt port.

The Thunderbolt cables are male at both ends. One end plugs into the

adapter's female Thunderbolt 2 port and the other end plugs into the back

the back of the iMac.

how do i connect iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) to mac mini in order to use my imac as a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.