Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Upgrade to Big Sur

I don't have a direct question for you, but I'm trying to understand why you are killing ours machines with these upgrades?

My MacBook has 4 years and is practically impossible work on it. I'm a software developer and a lead several developer teams and I don't recommend anymore Apple devices to work.

I'm a huge fan of Apple, but I'm completely disappointed with you and what you are being doing during these last years with iOS and macOS.

What we get from these last upgrades is basically nothing. Please don't kill the devices! In exchange of practically nothing we stay with a dead machine, that only can be used to write a document and browse on internet. Is not acceptable! I now that you need to sell new devices but don't do it on this way! You are better than this.

obs: I chose the wrong device. MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) macOS 11.4

Eduardo

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 10:50 AM

You complain but don't specify what are your issues with Big Sur. To help us understand your setup on the MBP do the following:

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Eduardo Costa

You complain but don't specify what are your issues with Big Sur. To help us understand your setup on the MBP do the following:

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Jul 2, 2021 4:37 AM in response to Eduardo Costa

No one forced the the User to upgrade to Big Sur. With due diligence and a good Rescue Plan in-place, one can always revert back to a more suitable version of macOS for this specific machine.

Do I have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS. For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Jul 2, 2021 9:36 AM in response to PRP_53

Your sounds greats, mainly if the question was "how can I restore a backup or how can I reinstall the previous version of macOS" and for someone who don't have much knowledge in this area.

Your answer only have one line related with the subject "No one forced the the User to upgrade to Big Sur." and is completely wrong, because we are forced to upgrade at some point.

Probably you don't know, but the companies have a strict rules about the software upgrades (security concerns), in our case we wait more than six months wait until have a stable version and the guarantees that everything work as expected.

As you know, everyone needs to have installed other applications that are not from Apple, and these applications have updates, and we need move forward, we can't wait four or five years to upgrade the OS or just upgrade when we have a new device, the impact in the future will be huge.

But thanks to try help me.

Jul 2, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Eduardo Costa

Agree on UpGrades to macOS and moving from earlier versions to newest versions. Only in that if ones whats the latest version but one may not actually need it. That is a personal preference.

Technically, the option to not upgrade to Big Sur exists. System Preferences >> Software Updates and disable ALL Options there and in the advance tab - disable All Options there too.

With the above outlined to Opt Out of the upgrade to Big Sur falls completely on the User or Organization. So, to say we have been forced to upgrade is somewhat misleading. IMHO

MacOS Upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.