Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random freeze of iMac screen after upgrading to Mojave

Hi,

I am experiencing a random freeze of the iMac screen after I upgraded the system to Mojave. I found a similar thread on this discussion but no following up for a while: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8460668?login=true

May I ask if there is any solution to this issue? Before upgrading my OS system, there is no freezing, and I suspect the error is exactly due to the GPU as referred to in this thread. Will a further upgrading of the system resolve this issue?

My system is a 2015 late model, so I'm hesitant about upgrading it. Here is its parameters:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Professor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 2:02 AM

Looked at the Etrecheck Report and it is less than encouraging. Firstly, this is a Fusion Drive setup with a very small SSD 24 GB which, as per the report, is almost 100% Full. The Rotational Drive is a very slow 5400 RPM drive. Right there is the bottleneck. Not matter what is loaded on the drive, it is going to be slow. Add to this is all the other installed Application loaded. Running a VM Software requires a much more robust machine with plenty of RAM, more than what this machines has.

Would say - for better performance - purchase a blood, reliable external SSD large enough for your needs and install Mojave on that drive and run the computer from the External Drive all the time. Further, if going this route, do a selective installation of your Required Software. There is a lot of unneeded software installed showing down the computer.

Below is a copy and paste of things to consider Not reinstalling if running from the Internal Drive.

Time Machine backup drive is too small.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system.

disk0 - APPLE SSD AP0032H 24.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) 

disk0s2 [APFS Fusion Drive] 23.69 GB

APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM) 

1.02 TB (Shared - 871.52 GB used, 160.86 GB available, 141.70 GB free)

File /etc/sysctl.conf exists but not expected

/etc/hosts - Count: 21

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.seagate.TBDecorator.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Seagate/TBLoopDriveParams

aunchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.backupassistant.agent.plist

Executable: /Library/StartupItems/Intego Backup Assistant/BackupAssistantAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/BackupAssistantAgent --launchd

Applications/GlobalProtect.app

Seagate Storage Driver.kext - com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore 

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2021 2:02 AM in response to arrow50311

Looked at the Etrecheck Report and it is less than encouraging. Firstly, this is a Fusion Drive setup with a very small SSD 24 GB which, as per the report, is almost 100% Full. The Rotational Drive is a very slow 5400 RPM drive. Right there is the bottleneck. Not matter what is loaded on the drive, it is going to be slow. Add to this is all the other installed Application loaded. Running a VM Software requires a much more robust machine with plenty of RAM, more than what this machines has.

Would say - for better performance - purchase a blood, reliable external SSD large enough for your needs and install Mojave on that drive and run the computer from the External Drive all the time. Further, if going this route, do a selective installation of your Required Software. There is a lot of unneeded software installed showing down the computer.

Below is a copy and paste of things to consider Not reinstalling if running from the Internal Drive.

Time Machine backup drive is too small.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system.

disk0 - APPLE SSD AP0032H 24.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) 

disk0s2 [APFS Fusion Drive] 23.69 GB

APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM) 

1.02 TB (Shared - 871.52 GB used, 160.86 GB available, 141.70 GB free)

File /etc/sysctl.conf exists but not expected

/etc/hosts - Count: 21

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.seagate.TBDecorator.plist

Executable: /Library/Application Support/Seagate/TBLoopDriveParams

aunchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.intego.backupassistant.agent.plist

Executable: /Library/StartupItems/Intego Backup Assistant/BackupAssistantAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/BackupAssistantAgent --launchd

Applications/GlobalProtect.app

Seagate Storage Driver.kext - com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore 

Jul 12, 2021 6:16 AM in response to arrow50311

Delete these files & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/cn.macx.MacAppBoxHelper.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/.svn/text-base/com.qvod.agent.plist.svn-base

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.qvod.agent.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.cisco.anyconnect.ciscod.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Local Library

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter~/Library/LaunchAgents, and click Go.

Jul 2, 2021 8:23 AM in response to arrow50311

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Jul 14, 2021 2:17 AM in response to arrow50311

Between what I mentioned and what @BDAqua has suggested - it is apparent there is a lot of unnecessary software installed on the computer that is Interfering with the Normal Operation of the computer. Any one or several of the Applications, Extensions and or drivers installed could be to source your your issue.

It will require a great deal of work by the user to clean up the system to put things right.

Jul 14, 2021 8:54 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, Phillips, and @BDAqua for your kind help! Admittedly there are a lot of things that need to be resolved. Many software are unnecessary because I reinstalled this computer from a Timemachine backup of my older computer.

May I ask what is the best to start with? Do you recommend I start by cleaning up unnecessary software and see whether the issue can be improved?

Thanks!

Random freeze of iMac screen after upgrading to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.