Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime on my iPad fails when I answer

So I just bought my new iPad 8th gen recently like, a week ago or so. Fresh out of the box, and anytime FaceTimes come to both my iPad and my iPhone, only the iPhone is able to answer, while the iPad just fails and drops the call instantly. The iPad is fully updated, they both the exact same FaceTime settings, I’ve tried just about everything I could think of.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 6:37 AM

7 replies

Jul 2, 2021 7:08 AM in response to xCalebDavidx

I know that you say they have the exact same settings, but on the iPad, what is showing under "You can be reached by FaceTime at"? When at home, I have my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air normally all sitting together if I'm doing work. If I get a FaceTime call, all 3 devices will ring, but I've never experienced a problem with answering the iPad. Here is Apple's support document on troubleshooting making or receiving FaceTime. If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 6, 2021 8:30 AM in response to xCalebDavidx

Hi xCalebDavidx,

May I know what software version your iPad is running? There has actually been an issue with FaceTime calls failing going around on the software version 14.5 and up where the FaceTime would display the "FaceTime Failed" screen or randomly hang up in the middle of a call. FaceTime works on your iPhone and even MacBook if you have one because they use different softwares. Your iPhone uses iOS, MacBooks use MacOS, and iPads use iPadOS. I am experiencing the same issue with my iPad whereas my iPhone X and my MacBook Pro 2019 is just fine. I have tried just about everything down to having my software erased and reinstalled by the people in the store. This is definitely a software issue that has not been addressed yet as people at the store and over the phone have ran 3 diagnostics on my device and nothing was wrong. Similarly, my iPad Air 4 was not working with FaceTime right after I bought it as well. Another piece of information I want to share is that an employee at the apple store I visited told me that another person came in last week with the same issue. They had their device replaced and set up in the store, however the issue still persisted. The issue has not been fixed for that person yet. The employee at Genius Bar told me to call into Apple Support, and ask to speak with a senior advisor, and push this issue to the engineering team since the more people that reports the issue, the faster it will be solved.

Heres a link to another thread of people having the same issue after updating to iPadOS 14.5 and up: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252737524?login=true&page=1

Jul 2, 2021 7:55 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Under that, I have my number, the email I use for my Apple ID, and then my iCloud address. I’ve looked and tried everything on that article and nothing has worked so far. I’ve never had a problem before either, since it’d work on my school iPad before, and now I have a much better and newer one to own, I’ve never seen something come out of the box with an issue like this.

FaceTime on my iPad fails when I answer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.