Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new imac 24 inch send button has disappeared from imessages

THE SEND BUTTON HAS DISAPPEARED FROM IMESSAGES IN MY NEW IMAC 24 INCH

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jul 2, 2021 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 3:35 AM

I spoke to Apple support who told me the software version 11.4 running on my iMac was responsible for the send button in messages disappearing. The only way to send a message was to use the return key. The knock on from this is that the only way to drop a line in a message for a new paragraph or to create a list is to press the shift key and the return key simultaneously. Bit of a faff but at least it works.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 3:35 AM in response to BT194XY

I spoke to Apple support who told me the software version 11.4 running on my iMac was responsible for the send button in messages disappearing. The only way to send a message was to use the return key. The knock on from this is that the only way to drop a line in a message for a new paragraph or to create a list is to press the shift key and the return key simultaneously. Bit of a faff but at least it works.

Jul 2, 2021 1:44 PM in response to BT194XY

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Jul 4, 2021 9:01 AM in response to BT194XY

I don't ever remember seeing a Send button in iMessages. It's always been the Return key as long as I can remember. Also I can add a line return with the keystroke Option+Return. Again it's been that way as long as I can remember.

I'm on a Intel iMac but that shouldn't make a difference in this particular case.

Jul 4, 2021 12:42 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad

I've just converted to an iMac having used windows since it came out. I have however had an iPad for 10 years and iPhone for as long if not longer. I was prepared ( maybe not well enough) for differences between windows and the Mac. I however expected there to be little differences between the iPads iPhone and the iMac. My iPad including the original 2011/12 my current mini 5 and my phone all have send buttons in messages and the return key drops a line. It seems I have a lot to learn.

new imac 24 inch send button has disappeared from imessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.