Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos I markup on iPad appear on iPhone via iCloud, but don't download to iPhoto

Hello, here's some behaviour I find strange:

I just bought an iPad Air 4th gen, so that I could markup directly on photographs with the Apple pencil.

The photos then upload to my iCloud account, and sync to my iPhone 6s Photos album.

Problem #1: Not all photos are syncing, of late.

Next I plug my iPhone into my Mac (using macOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro, late 2013), and import my photos to iPhoto version 9.6.1.

(Note: I still use iPhoto because I have a very specific system of organising my photos into Events, Folders and Albums, having given every single one a title, using Batch change, things that Photos can't do (I'm a film set decorator, I deal with thousands of photos on each project I work on).)

Problem #2: The photos with markups appear on my iPhone, but iPhoto neither sees, nor downloads them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Christine

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 12:09 AM

iPhoto is downloading the unmodified originals from the iPhone, not the edited versions, unless you duplicate the marked-up version of your photo as a new photo on your iPhone. Air-droping the current version will transfer the edited version and not the original.

But even after saving a new copy to the camera roll iPhoto may not be able to handle the mark-up version, because the last iPhoto compatibility update (iPhoto 9.6.1) has been released for OS X 10.10.3, long before Mark-Up has been introduced by Apple.

You could import the new photos with Image Capture to a folder on your Mac, then import them from the folder to iPhoto and see what you get and if there is a format problem.

xristinaathina, you are aware, that your current system version is the last version where you can run iPhoto at all, right? It is high time to prepare for a migration from iPhoto to some other program to handle your photos. The problem ist, that the newer system versions will no longer be able to run iPhoto, and sooner or later you will have to replace your current Mac, and any new Mac will come with a system version that does not support iPhoto. The migration should be done, while you still have a Mac that can run iPhoto and also can run the successor application you want to use. Mojave is the last opportunity for an easy migration. If you wait until you are stuck with a system version that does no longer support iPhoto, it will be impossible to run the Photo Library upgrader tool, it will be impossible to compare the iPhoto Library to the migrated library and fix issues, like missing metadata or incomplete smart albums, it will be impossible to convert videos and photos in a legacy format in your iPhoto Library to a format that will work on the new system version. In short, it will be a lot more work and you may may lose photos if you wait until it is too late.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 12:09 AM in response to xristinaathina

iPhoto is downloading the unmodified originals from the iPhone, not the edited versions, unless you duplicate the marked-up version of your photo as a new photo on your iPhone. Air-droping the current version will transfer the edited version and not the original.

But even after saving a new copy to the camera roll iPhoto may not be able to handle the mark-up version, because the last iPhoto compatibility update (iPhoto 9.6.1) has been released for OS X 10.10.3, long before Mark-Up has been introduced by Apple.

You could import the new photos with Image Capture to a folder on your Mac, then import them from the folder to iPhoto and see what you get and if there is a format problem.

xristinaathina, you are aware, that your current system version is the last version where you can run iPhoto at all, right? It is high time to prepare for a migration from iPhoto to some other program to handle your photos. The problem ist, that the newer system versions will no longer be able to run iPhoto, and sooner or later you will have to replace your current Mac, and any new Mac will come with a system version that does not support iPhoto. The migration should be done, while you still have a Mac that can run iPhoto and also can run the successor application you want to use. Mojave is the last opportunity for an easy migration. If you wait until you are stuck with a system version that does no longer support iPhoto, it will be impossible to run the Photo Library upgrader tool, it will be impossible to compare the iPhoto Library to the migrated library and fix issues, like missing metadata or incomplete smart albums, it will be impossible to convert videos and photos in a legacy format in your iPhoto Library to a format that will work on the new system version. In short, it will be a lot more work and you may may lose photos if you wait until it is too late.

Jul 3, 2021 1:51 PM in response to xristinaathina

Try going to iCloud.com using a computer browser to see if the items are there and whether they are from the device or the computer. That should show whether the device or the computer isn't syncing. If the computer, try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID if you are using Catalina or later) and stop syncing. Wait a couple of minutes, then recheck syncing. If the device, go to Settings/Your Name/iCloud and do the above. As a last resort, you can also try signing out of iCloud and then sign in again.

Jul 3, 2021 6:54 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your response.

I have checked on iCloud.com and yes, my photos with markups are there, in Photos.

It was still uploading and recommended I didn't turn syncing off, so I didn't!

However, my problem #2 remains as follows:

Since I still use iPhoto, I transfer my photos (that are synced to my iPhone from my iPad) from the phone, via cable, to my computer.

(Another note: I have not had "My Photo Stream" turned on for iPhoto so far, it has been easy to drag them from my iPhone).

I can see the photos with markups on my iPhone, but when it is plugged into my Macbook and iPhotos is open on iPhone, the marked up photos do not appear at all, for me to import to the Library.

I then have to select these photos, e-mail them to myself, save them and import them to iPhotos, where they then appear perfectly well.

Very time consuming, as you can imagine.

I can't think why. Does iPad Photos change the format of photos once they have been marked-up?

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the matter!

Jul 4, 2021 12:19 AM in response to léonie

Good morning Léonie,

Yes, I am aware that iPhoto will become extinct soon, but it hadn't occurred to me that I would no longer be able to view any of my photographs, if I cannot run iPhoto any more.

It has sent shivers down my spine this Sunday morning, and suddenly the downloading of marked-up photos seems irrelevant...

I shall drag all my iPhoto libraries onto Photos, slowly but surely, starting from today, and shall be very grateful for your sensible advice, ad infinitum.

Best,

Christine

Photos I markup on iPad appear on iPhone via iCloud, but don't download to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.