Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set up mail with optimum.net

I recently had to reinstall High Sierra on a replacement Mac Mini. All seems to work well after restoration from a Time Machine backup - except for Mail.

I have two Optimum email accounts. The original mail account, say "NAME@optimum.net" - is working perfectly on my Mac.

But I can not seem to set up the second account which Optimum calls an "Identity." Let's call it "ID@optimum.net." It will likely only receive emails from a single source: "source1@source.org."

I don't need or want a second password for that email account.

I have a Windows 7 PC, and it receives the mails for each, set up some time back, but because much of the settings are hidden by dots, or have different names, than the Mac settings, I can't use that info to set up the Mac mail. No matter what I seem to do, I get an "Unable to verify account name or password" error message when I click Save.

I cannot figure out what the incoming mail server or outgoing servers are - I believe both are "mail.optimum.net," what to enter for the Account, User name.

What is more puzzling, is that this identity apparently worked in the past, because I have many previously saved emails from this identity.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 1:30 PM

Email SettingsPort NumberOptimum IMAP Incoming mail server:

mail.optimum.net (Copy)

993, requires SSL (Copy)

143, non-secure (Copy)

Optimum POP3 Incoming mail server:

mail.optimum.net (Copy)

110, requires SSL (Copy)

995, non-secure (Copy)

Optimum SMTP Outgoing mail server:

mail.optimum.net (Copy)

465, requires SSL(Copy)

587, non-secure (Copy)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2021 1:30 PM in response to seekr

Email SettingsPort NumberOptimum IMAP Incoming mail server:

mail.optimum.net (Copy)

993, requires SSL (Copy)

143, non-secure (Copy)

Optimum POP3 Incoming mail server:

mail.optimum.net (Copy)

110, requires SSL (Copy)

995, non-secure (Copy)

Optimum SMTP Outgoing mail server:

mail.optimum.net (Copy)

465, requires SSL(Copy)

587, non-secure (Copy)

Jul 5, 2021 2:18 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua!

Somehow it started working - it seems I had set this mail group up with a different name some time back - and I was able to send and receive from that folder. I may try to rename the folder - but may not for fear of breaking what is now working!

A question remains - how do I know whether the Optimum account is a IMAP, POP3 or a SMPT? What do these terms mean?

Thanks again

set up mail with optimum.net

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.