Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot access a web site using Firefox

I am unable to access a website using Firefox or other browser .

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 5:11 AM

9 replies

Jul 4, 2021 5:24 AM in response to Cgfbreton

Is this just one web site? If it is then the web site may be down or have requirements that you use Microsoft's browser or something. If it doesn't post a messages saying that then it may be blocked to users in your country by their service. Most other reasons are along these lines and you will need to contact the web site's management to ask them to let you in.

Jul 4, 2021 5:36 AM in response to Cgfbreton

Update to Firefox 89.0.2 (since you didn't mention the browser version) and retry that site you couldn't reach before.

What does, "I am unable to access a website mean?" Did you receive a server-side response code in the 400 or 500 range? Too many redirects or you clicked on an outdated bookmark that no longer accesses a website page?

Jul 4, 2021 9:57 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your help .

The server I want to access is up.

I cannot access it only from my computer. I have another computer in the house which can access it, same system ( Mac Mini ) , same Firefox version 89.0.2 running on mac mini with OS 10.15.7 Catalina, just my wife using it.

I have different users set up on each system, and changing the user on my system does not let me access the website either .

( website to access : wordreference.com )

I also tried with another browser, Safari, and I am still unable to load this server's pages .

I can also access the site using my smartphone and the wifi for instance.

I am also using a VPN on my system, ( not on the other one ), could this have an influence ?

Thanks for your reply

Jul 4, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Cgfbreton

Cgfbreton wrote:

I am also using a VPN on my system, ( not on the other one ), could this have an influence ?

This would be the first thing to try....

Known to cause issue:

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

A true VPN tunnel, for example between you and your job, or a Bank server would be of value, otherwise might be time to re-think the usage. 

ref: Public VPN's are anything but private

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29

You also might find https://translate.google.com/ easier to use.

Jul 4, 2021 10:07 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hello ,

I am already with Firefox 89.0.2 .

If I change user on my system, using my wife's account, the same website is still not accessible, even if I use Safari .

I restarted my system after clearing cache and cookies, but to no avail.

I have another computer ( connected to the same router ) , and we can access the website from there ( wordreference.com ) .

Find below the message I get when trying to connect :

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at www.wordreference.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your help

Christian

I cannot access a web site using Firefox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.