Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost disk to install mac os to

i am trying to install a fresh os and it does not find a disc to install to. I can see in disk utility Apple dik image and under that macos base system both only 2,15Gb and 2.01Gb. How do i get the disk to be seen that it should install mac os to? I have to format and reinstall too send back as a trade in.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 5:43 PM

Magoo3789 Said:

"Lost disk to install mac os to: i am trying to install a fresh os and it does not find a disc to install to. I can see in disk utility Apple dik image and under that macos base system both only 2,15Gb and 2.01Gb. How do i get the disk to be seen that it should install mac os to? I have to format and reinstall too send back as a trade in."

-------

Mount the Hard Drive in Disk Utility:

While booted into Recovery Mode [Hold Down: command + R keys upon boot], go to Disk Utility> tap the Hard Drive, then tap the Mount button. See if you can then install it. If it is already mounted, then unmount it and then remount it. See where you can go from there.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2021 5:43 PM in response to Magoo3789

Magoo3789 Said:

"Lost disk to install mac os to: i am trying to install a fresh os and it does not find a disc to install to. I can see in disk utility Apple dik image and under that macos base system both only 2,15Gb and 2.01Gb. How do i get the disk to be seen that it should install mac os to? I have to format and reinstall too send back as a trade in."

-------

Mount the Hard Drive in Disk Utility:

While booted into Recovery Mode [Hold Down: command + R keys upon boot], go to Disk Utility> tap the Hard Drive, then tap the Mount button. See if you can then install it. If it is already mounted, then unmount it and then remount it. See where you can go from there.

Jul 4, 2021 5:31 PM in response to Magoo3789

If you are booting to the macOS 10.13+ installer, then within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. If you don't see any other items except for the disk image you mentioned, then the drive in your Mac has failed and will need to be replaced.

Jul 4, 2021 6:07 PM in response to Magoo3789

In Disk Utility, select Show all devices from the View popup menu.

If you see a drive named for the manufacturer and model number, does it have any volumes.

If it doesn't, select it, Click Erase, and set it to APFS format, GUID partition Map.

If it does have a volume that is grayed out, select it and click the Mount button. Run First Aid.

If you don't see another drive, it has failed.

Lost disk to install mac os to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.