Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Vision flicker in dark scenes.

Just upgraded to a tv with Dolby Vision and noticed that when content plays in that format there is a noticeable flicker in the dark areas of darker scenes. I’ve tried disabling Dolby Vision and turning off frame rate and dynamic range matching to force playback in HDR10. This works and no flicker is present in these same scenes. However I prefer to set my ATV to 4K SDR and enable frame rate and dynamic range matching to ensure everything plays as intended. I ran a test on the hdmi cable and it says it’s just fine, but it is an older “high speed hdmi” cable (upwards of 6 years old or more) so I’m wondering could that be the issue. I’m more than happy to buy the Belkin cable recommended by Apple but want to make sure that will fix the issue before purchasing.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 12:35 PM

it is an older “high speed hdmi” cable

If your HDMI cable is 10 Gbps rated (“high speed”, [HDMI 1.4]), then you would benefit from a 18 Gbps rated (“premium high speed”, [HDMI 2.0]) or better (48 Gbps “Ultra high speed”, [HDMI 2.1]).

Dolby Vision uses 20% more bandwidth than HDR10, and that may push just over the limits in some circumstances, depending on other (video) parameters too.

Apple TV 4K (1st generation, 2017) has an HDMI 2.0 port, and needs a 18 Gbps HDMI cable to utilize maximum settings.

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation, 2021) has an HDMI 2.1 port, and may need a 48 Gbps HDMI cable to utilize maximum settings.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2021 12:35 PM in response to Skelmo89

it is an older “high speed hdmi” cable

If your HDMI cable is 10 Gbps rated (“high speed”, [HDMI 1.4]), then you would benefit from a 18 Gbps rated (“premium high speed”, [HDMI 2.0]) or better (48 Gbps “Ultra high speed”, [HDMI 2.1]).

Dolby Vision uses 20% more bandwidth than HDR10, and that may push just over the limits in some circumstances, depending on other (video) parameters too.

Apple TV 4K (1st generation, 2017) has an HDMI 2.0 port, and needs a 18 Gbps HDMI cable to utilize maximum settings.

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation, 2021) has an HDMI 2.1 port, and may need a 48 Gbps HDMI cable to utilize maximum settings.

Jul 5, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the reply. This is kind of what I’ve assumed, and I tried to look up the specific cables but can’t find a definite answer. Given when they were purchased (at least 6 years ago, probably older) and “2.0” is nowhere to be found on the cords themselves, I’m guessing they’re 1.4. I’m getting a 4K Blu ray player soon and will need another cord anyway so I’ll pick up 2. Thanks again

Dolby Vision flicker in dark scenes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.