Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I format an USB Flash Drive with my iPad? The USB Flash Drive has a Lightning Connection?

can I format an USB Flash Drive with my iPad? The USB Flash Drive has a Lightning Connection?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 2:43 PM

iOS/iPadOS does not have the capability of formatting an external storage device. Formatting can be performed by a PC, Mac or other suitable computer. Some other devices, such as cameras, can also format storage devices.

To be recognised by your iPad, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (i.e., FAT64) with a single data partition. APFS or HFS+ are also supported by iPad and macOS.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2021 2:43 PM in response to Dancepal1948

iOS/iPadOS does not have the capability of formatting an external storage device. Formatting can be performed by a PC, Mac or other suitable computer. Some other devices, such as cameras, can also format storage devices.

To be recognised by your iPad, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (i.e., FAT64) with a single data partition. APFS or HFS+ are also supported by iPad and macOS.

Jul 16, 2021 9:58 AM in response to LotusPilot

I don't know if this is allowed in these forums, but do you have suggestions for lighting drives that can plug into iPads? I had one that was terrible and later learned it could corrupt the iPad so just trashed it. I had the WD wireless passport drive but now that wifi connection is unstable to the point of useless.

I have seen a lot of stick drives online with lightning on one side and USC-B or -C on the other, but they all require a 3rd party app to access. I just want a external stick drive that can plug into the lightning port (and USB) and be accessed via the iOS Files app. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.