Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable mouse acceleration and set tracking speed in Big Sur

Hello,

I habitually disable mouse acceleration with

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

However, as of a recent update to macOS this results in a fixed tracking speed that is far too low. The highest DPI setting on my MX518 mouse no longer compensates, and the machine is unusable.

If I adjust the tracking speed higher using the Preferences pane, acceleration is re-enabled, which is infuriating.

How does one disable mouse acceleration and simultaneously apply higher tracking speed?

I am aware that there is purchasable 3rd party software to do this, but that is not a solution.

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 1:31 PM

Howdy,

I don't see a way to change the mouse acceleration separate from the tracking speed with system settings.

The com.apple.mouse.scaling preference is found in ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

It starts with a period so is normally hidden.

Checking that PLIST file, I see no other setting that relates to mouse acceleration separate from com.apple.mouse.scaling

As you've seen, setting com.apple.mouse.scaling to -1 disables the setting but the mouse is painfully slow and unusable.

The normal settings are between 0-3 inclusive and I encourage you to see if a setting closer to 1 works for you.

You don't need to use Terminal to change that.

Here is the mapping for the System Preference > Mouse > Tracking speed to the com.apple.mouse.scaling value.

Tracking speed "ticks" com.apple.mouse.scaling value

0 (Slow) 0

1 0.125

2 0.5

3 0.6875

4 0.875

5 1

6 1.5

7 2

8 2.5

9 (Fast) 3

ivan

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2021 1:31 PM in response to persianprince486

Howdy,

I don't see a way to change the mouse acceleration separate from the tracking speed with system settings.

The com.apple.mouse.scaling preference is found in ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

It starts with a period so is normally hidden.

Checking that PLIST file, I see no other setting that relates to mouse acceleration separate from com.apple.mouse.scaling

As you've seen, setting com.apple.mouse.scaling to -1 disables the setting but the mouse is painfully slow and unusable.

The normal settings are between 0-3 inclusive and I encourage you to see if a setting closer to 1 works for you.

You don't need to use Terminal to change that.

Here is the mapping for the System Preference > Mouse > Tracking speed to the com.apple.mouse.scaling value.

Tracking speed "ticks" com.apple.mouse.scaling value

0 (Slow) 0

1 0.125

2 0.5

3 0.6875

4 0.875

5 1

6 1.5

7 2

8 2.5

9 (Fast) 3

ivan

Jul 6, 2021 10:34 AM in response to persianprince486

Hello persianprince486,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have a question regarding your mouse acceleration speed. We would be happy to help!

Check out the following support article, which provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior:

Change Mouse preferences on Mac

Change mouse tracking, double-click, and scrolling speed on Mac

Cheers!

Disable mouse acceleration and set tracking speed in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.