Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch series 5 won’t pair because it needs an update

My Apple Watch (series 5) won’t pair with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It syncs with my phone when I have to scan the screen (or manually type in a code), but once that is done I receive a message on my phone to update my watch. I’m only given two options when this message comes:

1. exit set up
  2. update watch

however, whenever I select the update option, I’m given another message that the update was unsuccessful because I’m not connected to the internet. This is strange because my phone is connected to the internet (I also have my cellular and Bluetooth on). I have thought that maybe the message is referring to my watch (as in my watch isn’t connected to the internet). But that wouldn’t make sense because there is no way (at least, not that I know of) to connect my watch to the internet BEFORE it’s set up.

After attempting multiple times to update, I have been greeted with no success. I can’t figure this out.

Please, does anyone know how to fix this and set up my watch?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2021 11:50 PM

How about the option to install the update directly from the watch and without the iPhone - is that available in your case?

Or update directly on your Apple Watch

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Apple Watch series 5 won’t pair because it needs an update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.