Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume Buttons Working ONLY On Locked Screen!?

The Physical Volume buttons work whilst in the lockscreen, But as soon as I go direct to the app, the physical Volume buttons Do Not Work. Its the same with the Podcast Apps, the volume buttons have no effect. Yet when I look via the lockscreen they work fine.

even If I go to sound and haptics, for the ringer select "change with buttons" meaning: The volume of the ringer and alerts can be adjusted using the volume buttons. NOTHING HAPPENS when I press the volume buttons...

it seems the only place I can use them is the lock screen... any ideas?? Thanks.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 8:47 AM

kill crystal,

Thank you for your response. Since you stated you did update the iOS, lets have you try couple more steps.

Restart the iPhone

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Change with Buttons > enable it

Test the volume buttons

Restart the iPhone

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Change with Buttons > disable it

Test the volume buttons

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2021 8:47 AM in response to kill crystal

kill crystal,

Thank you for your response. Since you stated you did update the iOS, lets have you try couple more steps.

Restart the iPhone

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Change with Buttons > enable it

Test the volume buttons

Restart the iPhone

Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Change with Buttons > disable it

Test the volume buttons

Cheers.

Jul 7, 2021 7:18 AM in response to kill crystal

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities  kill crystal,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the volume on your iPhone. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you.  If we understand correctly, you are only able to adjust volume on the lock screen.  We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. Does this happen on calls as well, or just playing media? Make sure you have the most current Operating System on your device (Settings > General > Software Update > should be 14.6). Make sure the Ring/Silent switch, above the volume buttons, is pushed forward and no orange is showing. Also have you tried the steps outlined in this resource?

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Jul 7, 2021 8:14 AM in response to Teddy_B

I have tried those step. No success.

the buttons also have no effect during a call.

Does not work while watching YouTube either.

when watching a movie on iTunes, the volume buttons do not work.

if I swipe down top right, the volume buttons still do not work,

but if I then click on that now playing square, on the next screen the volume buttons Do work (See photos for the screen shots)

the volume buttons currently are only working on the locked screen, and the now playing screen.

Volume Buttons Working ONLY On Locked Screen!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.