You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud automatic photo sharing?

Hi and sorry if this has been asked before

But just recently I noticed that photos I take with a DSLR camera and then transfer to my MacBook Pro somehow automatically sync to my Photos app on iPhone

This hasn't happened and I'd like to turn it off to save space on the phone, but so far everything I searched up tells me to disable the whole photos and iCloud. I'd still like my photos to get to iCloud for safe storage, but I don't want the photos on my Mac on my phone. Does anyone know what to do?

(and sorry if my English was bad, it's not my first language)

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 10:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 11:06 AM

iCloud Photos automatically syncs all photos on all devices where iCloud Photos is on. There is no option where photos will sync to iCloud from a device but not sync to other devices.

If you want some Mac photos to not sync to iCloud, you can do that by having multiple photo libraries. Only the system photo library will sync. See: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

But that does not accomplish "I'd still like my photos to get to iCloud for safe storage, but I don't want the photos on my Mac on my phone." -- there is no option to do that.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 7, 2021 11:06 AM in response to MikeThePilote

iCloud Photos automatically syncs all photos on all devices where iCloud Photos is on. There is no option where photos will sync to iCloud from a device but not sync to other devices.

If you want some Mac photos to not sync to iCloud, you can do that by having multiple photo libraries. Only the system photo library will sync. See: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

But that does not accomplish "I'd still like my photos to get to iCloud for safe storage, but I don't want the photos on my Mac on my phone." -- there is no option to do that.

iCloud automatic photo sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.