Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will not restore properly

I have an old iPad Air that I'm trying to boot back up, and it will not turn on. Any amount of charging will not allow me to turn it on. The closest I've gotten to turning it on was putting it into DFU mode and attempting recovery through iTunes, but after all software was reinstalled it immediately "died" again and would not turn on. I attempted recovery first, and after the first attempt iTunes showed me the standard screen that shows up after a successful recovery with all of the device information, which included the iPad's battery percentage, which is 93%. From this, I know the iPad isn't dead, but when pressing the power button I only see the low battery symbol and nothing happens. Are there any at-home fixes for this or do I need to bring it to be serviced?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 12:32 PM

That iPad Air model, maybe, at least, 7, possibly 8-years old, already.

It IS possible the battery in that iPad maybe failing.

The battery percentage indicator can give inaccurate battery percentages when the internal battery begins to actually fail.

You need to search online for your nearest, “local” Apple store location and call to make an appointment to have your Apple iPad diagnosed and options presented you.

Failing that,

You need to contact Apple support via the contact support link located at the upper right hand corner of every Webpage of these Apple support communities.

Use the Hardware Repair & Battery usage & Charging support categories.

OR

by installing and using the Apple Support app found in the iOS App Store.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044

OR

Call contact Apple via the support numbers found in the link bekow.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Tap the link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Best of Luck to You!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 12:32 PM in response to axylotlx

That iPad Air model, maybe, at least, 7, possibly 8-years old, already.

It IS possible the battery in that iPad maybe failing.

The battery percentage indicator can give inaccurate battery percentages when the internal battery begins to actually fail.

You need to search online for your nearest, “local” Apple store location and call to make an appointment to have your Apple iPad diagnosed and options presented you.

Failing that,

You need to contact Apple support via the contact support link located at the upper right hand corner of every Webpage of these Apple support communities.

Use the Hardware Repair & Battery usage & Charging support categories.

OR

by installing and using the Apple Support app found in the iOS App Store.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044

OR

Call contact Apple via the support numbers found in the link bekow.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

Tap the link below.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Best of Luck to You!

Jul 8, 2021 4:32 PM in response to axylotlx

Hi axylotlx,

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

We understand you're having trouble with an iPad not powering on and not restoring.

It sounds like you were able to get it connected to a computer and start a restore in recovery mode. Did you try to repeat the process again once the software was downloaded to this computer? Sometimes recovery mode will time out before the software download is complete which can be remedied by placing the device in recovery mode again.

Did you receive any error messages from the iPad or the computer during the process? Regardless, some relevant troubleshooting steps can be found in the below article. Be sure to try a different USB cable as well.

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Hope this helps! Take care for now.

Jul 11, 2021 12:14 PM in response to KMB_12

Thank you for the response.

I was able to successfully restore the iPad (as in software was deleted and reinstalled) after putting it in recovery mode, and I did not receive any error messages. Even after the "successful" restoration, the iPad refused to turn on and would continue showing the dead battery screen whenever I tried. As I said in my previous message, I knew it wasn't dead, and restoration had "worked". I'd tried it again after this to no avail.

iPad will not restore properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.