Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iTunes for PC, I wish to add two extra info columns to my library. How do I add these as data input lines/spaces/info fields in the "Get Info" box?

In iTunes for PC I have a large library of music. When I want to change or add the same piece of information to several Songs (e.g. Composer's name) I highlight all those Songs and open the "Get Info" box. I can then add the piece of information to the "Composer" data input space just once and it is automatically added to each Song in the "Composer" column in the Library.

I have added an extra Info column to my Library from the selection list, "Work", so I can input Catalogue info such as Opus number. But the "Work" column doesn't come up as a data input space in the "Get Info" data box. That means that I have to add the info to every Song individually, in the Library screen, even if it is the same for many Songs. This is significant in a Library of almost 15,000 Songs.

How can I add Columns as data input lines/spaces to the "Get Info" data box?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 9:08 AM

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I meant the top Get Info box.

I seem to remember that in a much earlier version of iTunes, many years ago, I could add an item from the column headed Auto Size Column on only to the Library columns but also to the Get Info box if it wasn't already there. But I can't find any way to do that now. It is so much easier if I want to add/change the same info in multiple songs at once to highlight them, right click to open the Get Info box, then input the new/changed info just once. But if the info item doesn't appear in the Get Info box, I can't do that.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 9:08 AM in response to the fiend

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I meant the top Get Info box.

I seem to remember that in a much earlier version of iTunes, many years ago, I could add an item from the column headed Auto Size Column on only to the Library columns but also to the Get Info box if it wasn't already there. But I can't find any way to do that now. It is so much easier if I want to add/change the same info in multiple songs at once to highlight them, right click to open the Get Info box, then input the new/changed info just once. But if the info item doesn't appear in the Get Info box, I can't do that.

Jul 11, 2021 12:46 AM in response to Trendev

I'm not sure what you mean by "show", since that term is not on the menu:

... but I'm sure there is a solution. Perhaps you mean Movement Name which, for reasons best known to Apple, appears on the Get info tab as name. You will see it in one of the screenshots in a moment. If not, then possibly, it will be grouping (more on that also, in a moment).

As for the Work, Use work and movement is already on the Get Info tab. You simply have to turn it on:

Here's an album in my collection that already had the work and movement information filled in. (I don't use it myself, so I'm not sure whether the information is correct, but that's not the point):

Things to note in my screenshot:

• in the box named work, the term mixed appears, because the selected tracks do not have the same information (in other words, the information is mixed)
  • the dash in the name field is there because that field also has mixed information (so it might have made more sense to have the term mixed in there as well, but that's not in my control)

If name does not suit your purpose, perhaps you could use grouping, which does appear on the menu. You can use multiple terms in the grouping field and then create Smart Playlists that include tracks that have your grouping word in them.

Jul 10, 2021 9:08 PM in response to the fiend

I want to input data to the Work and Show fields. I can do this by making individual entries for each Song to either of these fields, but often the same info applies to more than one Song. For example, in Work I want to add the relevant Opus or Catalogue number. This Opus number can apply to many "Songs" or movements of a composition. It would be much more efficient to highlight each Song that the Opus number applies to, open the Song Info/Get Info box (right click-Song Info) and input the Opus number just once. But the Work field doesn't appear on the Song Info/Get Info box, even though I have added it as a column in View Options.

For all the column fields that do appear in the Get Info/Song Info box, I can do this.

In iTunes for PC, I wish to add two extra info columns to my library. How do I add these as data input lines/spaces/info fields in the "Get Info" box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.