Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calls on I watch

I’m new to the I watch, I’ve followed all the set up instructions and can’t seem to receive any incoming calls, please help.

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 12:22 PM

Stevenmary1234 wrote:

Series 2

Watch Series 2 is GPS and Wi-Fi only with no cellular capabilities, which means this Watch can only make and receive calls while within range of the paired iPhone.

Which watchOS version is this Series 2 running? The footer shown here in the forums indicates watchOS 4, which is old. The current version supported with Series 2 is watchOS 6.2.8. (This Series 2 is old and its hardware limited and it won't update past watchOS 6, while watchOS 7 is current.)

Click or tap on the following blue-text link for how to update Watch > Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 12:22 PM in response to Stevenmary1234

Stevenmary1234 wrote:

Series 2

Watch Series 2 is GPS and Wi-Fi only with no cellular capabilities, which means this Watch can only make and receive calls while within range of the paired iPhone.

Which watchOS version is this Series 2 running? The footer shown here in the forums indicates watchOS 4, which is old. The current version supported with Series 2 is watchOS 6.2.8. (This Series 2 is old and its hardware limited and it won't update past watchOS 6, while watchOS 7 is current.)

Click or tap on the following blue-text link for how to update Watch > Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Jul 8, 2021 8:45 AM in response to Stevenmary1234

Is your Watch (Series 4, per the footer?) a cellular model, or Wi-Fi? Either can receive calls, though the latter only within range of the paired iPhone.

If a cellular model, do the Watch settings show an active cellular carrier and plan?

If cellular, is your Watch within range of the paired iPhone, or is it operating its own cellular radios?

Are you calling the iPhone telephone number as would be usual, or trying to call the Watch’s number?

Calls on I watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.