Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Customize Notification/Alert Sound for EACH Application on Mac?

I want the Reminder app notification sound in a way, Ticktick sounds in another, Mail does Y sounds and X App does Y sound.

I want to customize the sound of alerts and notifications of each app, or at least that each app does a different alert sound.

Third-party app/software/paid solutions are more than welcome too. It's incredible that there is no easy solution for this (as far as I know). I'm sure so many people have the same issue! thanks!

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 10:57 AM

The sound for a notification is specified by the app itself when it creates the notification. I know of no way to override this and the low level implementation has been a moving target. I doubt you'll find any useable hacks either.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 8, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Maostone

Maostone wrote:

there's not even a third part software app?

As I said, this is not an extensible system. Notifications are a developer API. Apple is really, really hostile to any system-level modifications or any modifications to internal app behaviour. Apple's default settings forbid apps from even knowing about the existence of the apps. If you want custom sounds, you will have to contact the developers of your apps.

How To Customize Notification/Alert Sound for EACH Application on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.