Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal and vertical lines on MacBook 16’ computer.. help?

I have horizontal lines across the bottom which are rapid growing up the screen, and vertical. Can anyone lead me where to start… is it fixable? Costly? Thankyou In advance

MacBook, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 8:52 AM

To rule out any potential damage, per chance did your notebook experience any type of liquid spill recently?

If so, I recommend that you stop using it immediately and be sure to power it down completely. Then make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options. Any further use, in this case, could potentially cause more damage.

If not, then, give the following a try to see if they can help:

1. Boot up your notebook in Safe Mode to see if this issue continues. Ref: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset your notebook's SMC. Ref: How to reset the SMC on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Run an Apple Diagnostics test: Ref: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Please post back your results.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 8:52 AM in response to caligirlinutahworld

To rule out any potential damage, per chance did your notebook experience any type of liquid spill recently?

If so, I recommend that you stop using it immediately and be sure to power it down completely. Then make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them take a look and provide you with your options. Any further use, in this case, could potentially cause more damage.

If not, then, give the following a try to see if they can help:

1. Boot up your notebook in Safe Mode to see if this issue continues. Ref: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset your notebook's SMC. Ref: How to reset the SMC on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Run an Apple Diagnostics test: Ref: How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Please post back your results.

Jul 8, 2021 9:01 PM in response to caligirlinutahworld

Hi,

First you need to be sure that there are no cracks on the display. That kind of line pattern are a typicall symptom of accidental damage, check for small cracks near the lowest edges of the screen.

If the screen is OK connect the MBP to an external display to see if the line pattern replicates also there, if the image shown in the external display has no lines then you have an issue with the Display (most probable) or the Main Logic Board (less probable).

You need to take the MacBook directly to Apple or an AASP for the repair, they need to run specific post-repair test to calibrate the new display and LAS (Lid Angle Sensor).

Horizontal and vertical lines on MacBook 16’ computer.. help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.