Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unrecognized network on newish desktop Mac

I checked my Mac's networks for the first time. I found an unrecognized network - "Patron - WiFi."

This is a newish Mac, and I didn't set up that network.

Is this something that comes with a Mac?

The Mac is a desktop, so it has only been at home.

Can I safely delete this network?

Any idea where the network came from?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 1:33 AM

User wrote " Unrecognized network on newish desktop Mac " and user profile showing iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Regardless of running Big Sur as per profile or Sierra as per Forum posting in - this newish iMac unknown Wifi, if not setup by you, can be safely removed.

Question for you - newish implies this was purchased Refurbished / second hand - asking because in either case -the previous owner or Seller should have done this before you took ownership >>>What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac <<<

Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2021 1:33 AM in response to JustaCluelessUser

User wrote " Unrecognized network on newish desktop Mac " and user profile showing iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Regardless of running Big Sur as per profile or Sierra as per Forum posting in - this newish iMac unknown Wifi, if not setup by you, can be safely removed.

Question for you - newish implies this was purchased Refurbished / second hand - asking because in either case -the previous owner or Seller should have done this before you took ownership >>>What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac <<<

Manage the Wi-Fi connection on your Mac

Jul 9, 2021 10:29 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks P. Phillip.

My Mac is newish because I bought it new from Apple in 2018. It has only been with Apple or on my desk. I did not set up that network so I wondered if it was an Apple thing. Apparently not. Sorry about posting in the Sierra forum. That was where I landed when searching for an answer and didn’t notice the different iOS. Nice avatar.

Jul 10, 2021 6:49 PM in response to JustaCluelessUser

Are you seeing this new network in the WiFi drop down menu? If so, it could just be a neighbor's WiFi network.

If your Mac is joining this network, that would imply your neighbor does not have a password on their network. Setting your System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Advanced -> WiFi preferences can keep you from randomly joining WiFi networks.

NOTE: If it is a neighbor's WiFi network, it is not something you can delete (well you can, but generally the police get involved for breaking and entering 😜 ).

If I am guessing wrong about this, and you want to continue, could you please explain in what display you are seeing this network? Whether you have joined the network, or are just seeing it as something available.

Jul 10, 2021 7:28 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi BobHarris,

System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced

It was one of the networks in the list that also included my main network, and a guest network.

Both those have the auto-join box checked.

If I'm remembering correctly, the auto-join box for Patron-WiFi network was not checked.

Based on P. Phillips' recommendation, I deleted that network from that list.

So far, nothing has stopped working. 🤞

I have WiFi set to NOT ask to join new networks or personal hotspots.

I have it set to remember networks this computer has joined.

I don't think the Patron-WiFi network was in my neighborhood, as Fing and Network Analyzer did not find it.

Anyway - bit of a mystery how it got there, but it's gone now and nothing has stopped working.

Thanks for your input!

Unrecognized network on newish desktop Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.