Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Specs via Serial number

Hi apple community,

Is there a way you can check the MacBook specs if you only have the serial number?

Thank you!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 10:34 PM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2021 12:22 AM in response to Enzo28

Enzo28 Said:

"Mac Specs via Serial number: Yup did that. Google provides lots of variant like for the CPU there's i5,i7,i9 and for memory, there are 8gb,16gb etc same with the storage capacity when you search the model year based on the warranty link. Then I wouldn't know what is the real specs of that particular serial number."

-------

Contact Apple Support:

Then, I'd say contact Apple Support. Provide them with the model number. They'll have the model right up front.

Apple Support Contact Info:

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Alternatively...

Try a Chat with Apple:

See if Apple can assist you via chat.  Apple is picky when it comes to getting a chat to take place about Apple IDs. So, rather than selecting for support with Apple ID, use the iPhone link, to get through to an Apple Rep via chat.

To Chat:

1. Go To: getsupport.apple.com
  2. Select: Get Support
  3. Select: an item, until you get an option to chat.

Jul 8, 2021 11:06 PM in response to Enzo28

Enzo28 Said:

"Mac Specs via Serial number Hi apple community, Is there a way you can check the MacBook specs if you only have the serial number? Thank you!"

-------

Two Links:

Use Terminal:

Do you have the Mac? If you have the Mac with you, then boot into it, and find the System Info:

1. Select: Utilities Menu
  2. Select: Terminal
  3. Enter: this command
~ screencapture -l \
$(osascript -e 'tell app "System Information" to id of window 1') \
system_information.png

Jul 9, 2021 12:00 AM in response to Enzo28

Enzo28 Said:

"Mac Specs via Serial number: Hi, Thank you for your response. No, I don't have the device with me. I am currently working on our asset inventory and the information I only have is the serial number. Is there a way for me to know the specs and model based only on the serial number?"

-------

What to Do:

Enter Your Serial Number Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

The device type(year and model) should pop right up. Once found, search for its specs, using Google. So, what model comes up when you enter the Serial Number?

Jul 9, 2021 1:33 AM in response to Enzo28

Enzo28:

There are a few other sources of information and specifications, that include

alternate identifiers. One, is a good database application download (free) &

named Mactracker; works as companion with others for even more detail.

And another that combines several into a searchable online database..

Everymac includes most if not all Apple Mac products.. also iPhones.

• Lookup Mac Specs by Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

• Apple iPhone Specs - (All iPhone Models) : EveryiPhone.com

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/index-iphone-specs.html

Some other lookup sites, include old gear lookups. Surprisingly intact; vintage/examples.

Jul 9, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Enzo28

Most models could and can be customized at time of order and all of the links mentioned will only show the various possibilities - there is no way to determine exactly which one you have unless you either a) check the Mac itself or b) call Apple and ask which one applies to that specific serial number or c) find the purchase receipt which will show which processor, size of drive, RAM, etc was purchased.

Mac Specs via Serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.