Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update 11.4

I just updated to Big Sur 11.4 from the previous version. Once I did, I was unable to save or edit anything in word (the issue looks to be the same in excel). I can open word including previously saved documents but cannot edit or save - these options are shaded out in the menu. I tried restarting and re-subscribing to and re-installing the newest version of office 365 but nothing changed. It may be an incompatibility issue between the new update and word? I didn’t back up so I can’t restore to 11.3. I have a MacBook Air M1. Please help I use word every day for work - this is a nightmare.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 1:43 AM

4 replies

Jul 10, 2021 4:26 AM in response to PRP_53

I logged off from my user account, re-started and logged back on. Once I had done that, word automatically downloaded some new files and the issue was resolved. It was odd as I had purchased the new subscription and re-installed Microsoft office 365 previously which did not fix the issue. It was only logging in and off from Word that did it.

Big Sur update 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.