Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG 43UN700-B Monitor & MacBook Pro M1 (2020) MacsOS Big Sur

Anyone has the same problem setting up the LG 43UN700-B 43 inch monitor to MacBook Pro M1 (2020) with MacsOS Big Sur. I have trouble detecting the monitor using the USB-C cable directly.

I can easily connected to my Lenovo X1 but has trouble for my MacBook Pro even detect the monitor. Is there some kind of set up problem?

My MacBook Pro can connect to the external box thro displace port cable. Not sure what I can do.

Need some help from someone. Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 6:45 PM

DO NOT attempt to use the Mac Charging cable as if it were a real cable -- it is NOT.

The Mac charging cable that came with your Mac contains ONLY charge conductors and USB-2, suitable only for connecting a keyboard or mouse. No high speed data pathways are available. It can NOT be used to talk to a display.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 6:45 PM in response to HJPHJP

DO NOT attempt to use the Mac Charging cable as if it were a real cable -- it is NOT.

The Mac charging cable that came with your Mac contains ONLY charge conductors and USB-2, suitable only for connecting a keyboard or mouse. No high speed data pathways are available. It can NOT be used to talk to a display.

Jul 10, 2021 5:19 PM in response to HJPHJP

I’ll try to help you, HJPHJP. I used to have that monitor and it was a beauty until i had an accident with it and couldn’t afford to get it fixed or to buy a replacement.. so i went with a 32’ LG… anyways, here’s the webpage for that monitor. Yes, that monitor has hdmi x2, displayPort x2 and usb-c plus usb3.0… and look at what I found on the Mac App store… and it says it now supports M1 Macs… should be right up your alley… https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjWkMad3NnxAhVRsZ4KHcWLBbkQFjAAegQIDBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapps.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2Flg-screen-manager-lg-monitor%2Fid1142051783%3Fmt%3D12&usg=AOvVaw2DVZwNZg7rniD2ct201C8P

open the previous link in your web browser, preferably Safari, it’ll take you to the App store where you should look for and get “LG screen Manager”..which supports m1 macs and works with Mac OS 10.11 or better… sadly, i don’t have thunderbolt 3/usb-c, as i’m using a mac pro from 2012… oh well… no big loss… for me the usb-c worked with a usb-c to a adapter for communicating between monitor and mac. No video output on usb-c.. just hdmi or displayPort… luckily the cables for those were included… which was nice of LG. The usb-c cable? Ahhh…. That you must buy…

so hope that helped…

john b

Jul 10, 2021 7:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry Grant B-A, i was NOT suggesting that HJPHHP use the charging cable that came with his/her Mac. You would have to BUY a proper usb-c/thunderbolt 3 cable as one is NOT supplied with the monitor. My mac pro 2012, obviously does not have or natively support usb-c or Thunderbolt 3 for video output or much of anything. The only reason for me to buy and connect a Proper usb-c cable from said monitor to my 2012 mac pro is to allow the lg’s monitor software ( multi video source control, monitor updates, screen control) to run, period. And to do that, i had to buy a usb-c to A adapter. I also had to connect either an hdmi 2.0 cable or a displayport to displayport cable or minidisplayport to displayport cable as well…

Jul 12, 2021 1:16 PM in response to Johnb-one

Greatly appreciate your help. I was on the road all weekend and able to pick up a thunderbolt 3 cable. Tried and worked. Turns out, the supplied cable is a 60W usb-c cable that doesn't have enough power to transmit video signal for my Macbook Pro. Not sure why it works on my Lenovo X1.

I'm a newbie working with a Mac. Really feel the support from the community. Greatly appreciated.

HJP

Jul 12, 2021 3:13 PM in response to HJPHJP

i didn’t know there were 2 kinds of thunderbolt 3/ usb-c cable, but there are.. the 60w which is OK for charging but not video and the other kind. So you learn something new almost every day. I don’t have built in TB 3/usb-C., and i can’t/couldn’t use it for outputting video, just data only… IF i wanted to get it. I don’t own anything with Thunderbolt 3 or usb-c , i don’t have a huge need for it, so why spend the $?

just my 2 cents

jb

LG 43UN700-B Monitor & MacBook Pro M1 (2020) MacsOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.