Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Errors

I have a late 2015 27" iMac with a 3TB Fusion Drive. When I run First Aid within Disk Utility, I get so many of the following errors that it stops displaying them. The errors are:

I have a late 2015 27" iMac with a 3TB Fusion Drive

warning: bitmap store: reached limit of 23040 B-tree nodes

warning: object (oid 0x40000266b4a64): Unable to mark physical extent range (0x40000266b4a64 + 49) allocated for space verification 

I have run hardware diagnostics and it reports everything is fine. I've run full scans, including surface scans, using TechTools Pro and it reports everything is fine. I've run DiskWarrior and it reports everything is fine. I thought it was only happening in TimeMachine local snapshots so disabled it and removed the snapshots but it's still being reported. I have also notice some log entries in Console reporting files/databases as being corrupt. It happened with the Podcasts and I deleted and recreated the database and it's been working without trouble since I did.

I am willing to replace the hard drive if I can ascertain that it is the problem but I can't get any indication that they are. I don't want to do that and then determine the problem is something else.

I have attached the Etrecheck Pro report in the hope someone can provide guidance.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 2:00 PM

Here are some steps that may help.

1. Back up your Mac.
  2. Start up your Mac in macOS Recovery over the internet (Option-Command-R).
  3. Erase your Mac.
  4. Install a clean copy of macOS Big Sur.
  5. Set up the Mac as new. Manually copy user data. Install third-party applications from the App Store or developer website.

Contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2021 2:00 PM in response to tsurikomi

Here are some steps that may help.

1. Back up your Mac.
  2. Start up your Mac in macOS Recovery over the internet (Option-Command-R).
  3. Erase your Mac.
  4. Install a clean copy of macOS Big Sur.
  5. Set up the Mac as new. Manually copy user data. Install third-party applications from the App Store or developer website.

Contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Jul 10, 2021 2:25 PM in response to tsurikomi

I know of no 3rd party disk utility that properly handles APFS. The Apple Disk Utility is running the command line "fsck_apfs -y -x [device]" command under the hood and displaying the output in the GUI interface. You will have much better luck repairing any soft errors on the internal disks by booting from an external drive and running the repairs on the internal drives while not in use.

Re-download the macOS Big Sur installer from the App Store so you have /Application/Install macOS Big Sur

[Optional] You can do this from the Terminal command line:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.4

Burn a Big Sur installer USB flash drive

[https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372]

Format as HFS+ and name the flash drive MyVolume.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Ensures the internal drives are NOT in use. Boot from the USB Big Sur Installer flash drive and run Disk Utility. Select View All Devices.

First Aid depends on the item which is selected. If that’s a disk, then First Aid checks and repairs at that level, including the disk’s partition map and EFI partition, not its volumes. To perform full checks on an APFS volume, you should select that volume (not its disk or container) before clicking on the First Aid tool. To check and repair all volumes in a container, you must first eject each of its volumes, then select the container and click on the First Aid tool. Or run First Aid on them individually.

To summarize, run Disk Utility at the top level and work your way down to each individual volume.

If the disks cannot be repaired, you will need to completely erase the internal drives and re-install macOS then restore your data from backup. Providing the disks do not have hardware faults this may be the only sure way to fix the file system. The Fusion drive was likely upgraded to APFS from HFS+ and perhaps a bug occurred. This would rebuild the Fusion pairing and format it cleanly with APFS.

After erasing the Fusion drive pairing it will likely be split showing two drives. Follow this KB to rebuild the Fusion drive pairing:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Then you can install macOS Big Sur back onto the Fusion drive and continue.

Jul 10, 2021 1:50 PM in response to tsurikomi

nordvpn.osx.helper- VPN are virtual private networks which can mess your internet connection.

Little Snitch is a packet sniffer and can get overzealous. Remove it.

AppCleaner is malware.

You have multiple backup solutions like Backblaze running concurrently as well as Amazon Cloud.

You should only one any backup solution one at a time. If you do multiple they can run into each other trying to figure out who has access to the data.

With multiple network access software, you also are at the whim of the asynchronous internet where uploads are slower than downloads.

Keep it simple. Isolate. Backup as a clone to an external hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Make sure your hard drive is no more than 85% full.

Any application you aren't sure if you really need, you can drag and drop into AppDelete and it will remove all the components for you while in safe mode (shift key boot):

http://www.reggieashworth.com/appdelete.html

Disk Errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.