Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro vs fake

Somebody is offering a macbook pro M1 chip bring new macbook How do i know that what am being offered is not a fake product

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 1:22 PM

If they are offering it out of the trunk of a car in a dark alley it is probable not legit.

Make sure whoever is offering it to you has done this:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Jul 10, 2021 1:31 PM in response to Jabura

Hello Jabura,

Are you saying that someone is offering a M1 MacBook Pro for you trading them a new MacBook with no additional cost? If so this sounds very much like a scam and it is good you are bing cautious.

If they are offering you a credit it may just be through Apple’s Trade In program. Apple Trade In - Apple

Apple products are only officially offered through Apple or a network of authorized resellers. You could check if this person is with an authorized reseller though this site by searching their address. https://locate.apple.com

You could somewhat verify product authenticity by checking the serial number through their Service and Support coverage site. https://checkcoverage.apple.com

I hope this helps.

Jul 10, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Jabura

No problem.

If you already know they are not an authorized reseller I 100% agree with what user Allan Jones stated and would walk away. You not only could be receiving a fake or stolen device but could also end up without any warranty or support.

If this was a stolen legitimate MacBook Pro it would show authentic but once the owner knows it’s missing they could remotely lock the device or completely wipe and disable it.

The price of about $1750 and a credit of $150 without first seeing your device is a red flag on it’s own. There are two current 13-inch models that are cheaper and one almost the exact same price https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch offered from Apple directly. Also, a new MacBook has an estimated trade in value double the $150 you are being offered. Please at a minimum get a free quote of your device's value using Apple’s trade in site I linked in my first reply.

Jul 10, 2021 1:39 PM in response to Jabura

If you have qualms already, simply continue to walk in the opposite direction.

We see too many sad tales here of people buying Macs through "less-than-traditional" channels and having trouble with the computer not being properly prepared for resale or, worse, stolen. Either way, only the the seller is happy.

Please do not add the the ranks of the Great Disappointed.

Macbook pro vs fake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.