Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing problem from Imac.

I haven’t found the same problem searching forums so I need to ask.

I created some movies in iMovie on my 2015 Imac. I want to view use home sharing to view on AppleTV. I cannot get them to display in the computers app on AppleTV. Other previous movies I created a few years ago are still there and will play normally. I have tried placing the movies directly in the same Home videos folder that contains the working movies, but still won’t display. I then tried to watch them on my iPad, but had the same issue — it is as if the added movie was not there. Any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 5:13 AM

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is your macOS version for the iMac? Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support

The Home Sharing content has to be added to the library, regardless of where the file is, because it is the library that is shared. This is a bit different for macOS Mojave or earlier (iTunes), compared to macOS Catalina or later (Apple TV app).

The shared file has to be compatible with both the Mac (iTunes/TV app) and the Apple TV (Computers app). Your best bet is H.264 AVC (not ProRes!) video with AAC audio, in an MP4/MOV/M4V ‘container’, with resolution of 1080p or less.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 5:13 AM in response to phoe

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is your macOS version for the iMac? Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support

The Home Sharing content has to be added to the library, regardless of where the file is, because it is the library that is shared. This is a bit different for macOS Mojave or earlier (iTunes), compared to macOS Catalina or later (Apple TV app).

The shared file has to be compatible with both the Mac (iTunes/TV app) and the Apple TV (Computers app). Your best bet is H.264 AVC (not ProRes!) video with AAC audio, in an MP4/MOV/M4V ‘container’, with resolution of 1080p or less.

Home sharing problem from Imac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.