Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I see the bit rate on albums so that I can adjust it in my DAC?

Bit rates vary from 256 on up. My Audio Midi Setup allows bit rate selection for my Digital to Analog converter. How do I know what to set this to for Apple Music High R

es etc.? Thanks

Mac Pro, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 8:01 AM

Are you sure it's bit rate and not bit depth (which would be 16 or 24) - in my case (Catalina) you can set that and the sampling rate (44.1 or 48kHz). The bit rate reflects the amount of compression, and the playback application should handle that in order to provide the output: audio-midi then allows you to choose what output you want - this might result in a 48 kHz file being resampled to 44.1, and as that's going to degrade the quality (very slightly) you would want to match it.

Apple's specifications for providers say: 'Apple Music and the iTunes Store accepts audio with a sampling rate of 44.1Khz and 16-bit or 24-bit resolution and 96, 176.4, or 192 kHz with 24-bit resolution.' (If you want to go really high qualty SACD disks have a sampling rate of 2228.4 kHz!)

In any case you can get the required information in Apple Music on a Mac (again, on Catalina though presumably also on other systems) by selecting the track, hitting command-I, then 'File':

(I don't have any hi-res recordings to try this on).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 8:01 AM in response to edwaldrup

Are you sure it's bit rate and not bit depth (which would be 16 or 24) - in my case (Catalina) you can set that and the sampling rate (44.1 or 48kHz). The bit rate reflects the amount of compression, and the playback application should handle that in order to provide the output: audio-midi then allows you to choose what output you want - this might result in a 48 kHz file being resampled to 44.1, and as that's going to degrade the quality (very slightly) you would want to match it.

Apple's specifications for providers say: 'Apple Music and the iTunes Store accepts audio with a sampling rate of 44.1Khz and 16-bit or 24-bit resolution and 96, 176.4, or 192 kHz with 24-bit resolution.' (If you want to go really high qualty SACD disks have a sampling rate of 2228.4 kHz!)

In any case you can get the required information in Apple Music on a Mac (again, on Catalina though presumably also on other systems) by selecting the track, hitting command-I, then 'File':

(I don't have any hi-res recordings to try this on).

How can I see the bit rate on albums so that I can adjust it in my DAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.