You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Full Alert on 6s Plus Running iOS v.14.6 - Annoying

I have looked for solutions to this, and I am seeing nothing.

I use my old iPhone (6s), which I bought when I had a job (still looking--it is hard being an engineer in Silicon Valley.

I want to be able to use it when I need it, but I do not want the battery to drain and have it sitting with a dead battery for extended periods of time.

The battery alert keeps going off. When it does, the phone vibrates.

Some people suggest using the original charger, which is who knows where.

Some people suggest making sure the charger has a large enough current capacity.

Some people suggest it is because of the order in which you plug in the cable when you use your Macbook to charge the phone.

What is the deal here? Is this just because Apple employees never need to use an older iPhone? Is this an attempt by Apple to make the older device useless?

For now, I am shutting down iOS when I am not using the iPhone (I don't even know if the battery will charge in this state, but if not, it will discharge very slowly, so if I only power it up twice a year, I won't ruin the battery) and rebooting when I need to use it.

Thank you.

-Zippy

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 9:30 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 12, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Zippy1248

That's a great question Zippy1248.

Sounds like you have an issue with the charging port of your iPhone. You may want to check your cable or try a certified Lightning cable: Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

"If you use a counterfeit or uncertified Lightning accessory, you could see these issues:

• Your iOS device could become damaged
  • The cable might be easily damaged
  • The connector end might fall off, get very hot, or might not fit properly into your device
  • You might not be able to sync or charge your device"

iOS has no notifications for when a device charges to 100%. However, iOS does light up or make a sound (vibrates if muted with settings) when plugged in. If a cable isn't fitting properly or has a bad connection this could explain the behavior you see.

Here's another great resource: If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge

1. Use a wall power outlet and check for firm connections between your charging cable, USB wall adapter, and wall outlet or AC power cable, or try a different outlet. 
  2. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device, then firmly plug your charging cable into your device. If the charging port is damaged, your device probably needs service."

We look forward to you response.

Jul 12, 2021 11:09 AM in response to karina184

I accidentally hit the "This Solved My Question" button, and it looks like I cannot undo it. I was trying to select a different response, as it looked like there was a pull-down, but I guess a person has to be careful about clicking on the arrow button, and not the message next to it which I assumed the pull-down would let me change. I will put my response in a new response, or do a new question.

Jul 12, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Zippy1248

Hello Zippy1248,

Apple Support Communities is a great place for help! It sounds as though you're receiving an alert as it relates to your battery. Can you clarify a bit further as to what alert you're receiving? Also, are you leaving the iPhone connected to a charger when not in use for extended periods of time? If so, that's not a step that's needed. When storing a device Apple recommends charging the battery to at least 50%. You can find this information outlined in the following article. This is also recommended to help extend the lifespan of your battery.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

have a great day!

Jul 12, 2021 11:19 AM in response to karina184

Karina184,

I have an older phone, which I use as an Internet access device in my home. It is a regular phone, which I connect to the Internet via WIFI instead of a SIM card. I want to be able to keep it booted so I can pick it up and use it when I need it. Sometimes this may not be for more than a week, sometimes it is several times a day.

I want the phone to sit there on the charger, so it is available. The problem is, sometimes it starts to hit 100% charge several times during 60 seconds, and every time it does, it makes noise (which I can turn off,) vibrates (which is very annoying when I'm doing something else,) or the screen lights up, which is disturbing if someone is trying to sleep on the couch in my living room because I'm helping them out between jobs.

Thank you for any help with this.

-Zippy1248

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 12, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Zippy1248

I’m not sure what battery alert you are talking about. iPhones do not alert when the battery reaches full. No iPhone ever has. If you are using an uncertified power source (not Made for iPhone: MFI Certified), some of these will turn off when the phone stops drawing power. Then when the phone’s charge decreases they turn back on, and it’s as if you just plugged it in. To solve this you should switch to an Apple or Apple-certified power source and cable. As there are literally (really literally) billions of Apple chargers floating around finding one used should be easy.

If you are actually not using the phone at all Apple recommends charging it to around 50%, then turning it off. It will stay this way for months. It’s how iPhones are shipped from the factory.

If you are using it there is no harm in leaving it plugged in. It can’t be overcharged, as the charge monitor in the phone will stop charging at 100%.

Battery Full Alert on 6s Plus Running iOS v.14.6 - Annoying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.