Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AIRPORT EXTREME 1. GENERATION

Is ist possible to use older AIRPORT EXTREM in new network when airport utility reports the following: "This version of AirPort Utility requires this Airport Extreme use firmware version 7.3.1 or later.?

How should I proceed?

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 7:11 PM

"This version of AirPort Utility requires this Airport Extreme use firmware version 7.3.1 or later.?

Kind of a classic Catch 22.

The AirPort Extreme needs to have more up to date firmware installed......but....the version of AirPort Utility that you have will not allow you to install that firmware, and Apple will not allow you install an older version of AirPort Utility on your Mac.

If you have a PC that has AirPort Utility for Windows 5.6.1 installed on the device, you might be able to use the PC to update the firmware on the AirPort Extreme to a newer version that AirPort Utility on your Mac would recognize.......IF.......Apple still offers really old 14+ year old firmware.

The only way to know if this might work is to give it a try.

I don't have a PC or an older AirPort here to test, so another user will need to try to help on this one. Won't be easy, since Apple has classified the 1st Gen AirPort Extreme as "Obsolete" for a number of years.

Apple won't help, even if you are willing to pay them the standard $85-90 for support.

Frankly, I would not spend much time on this, since you can find much more up to date AirPorts on eBay for $25-50 that will work with your Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2021 7:11 PM in response to PETERBRAZIL

"This version of AirPort Utility requires this Airport Extreme use firmware version 7.3.1 or later.?

Kind of a classic Catch 22.

The AirPort Extreme needs to have more up to date firmware installed......but....the version of AirPort Utility that you have will not allow you to install that firmware, and Apple will not allow you install an older version of AirPort Utility on your Mac.

If you have a PC that has AirPort Utility for Windows 5.6.1 installed on the device, you might be able to use the PC to update the firmware on the AirPort Extreme to a newer version that AirPort Utility on your Mac would recognize.......IF.......Apple still offers really old 14+ year old firmware.

The only way to know if this might work is to give it a try.

I don't have a PC or an older AirPort here to test, so another user will need to try to help on this one. Won't be easy, since Apple has classified the 1st Gen AirPort Extreme as "Obsolete" for a number of years.

Apple won't help, even if you are willing to pay them the standard $85-90 for support.

Frankly, I would not spend much time on this, since you can find much more up to date AirPorts on eBay for $25-50 that will work with your Mac.

Jul 12, 2021 8:10 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you very much for your quick response.

With the PC it worked fine, BUT I had to use a ETHERNET cable for the upload of new firmware 7.8.1 because wireless did not work.

I would say 1 : 0 for Bill Gates x Apple because it is a shame to through away a perfect working device due to firmware issue creating more and more electronic waste

I am from the older generation and think different about sustainability using my stuff as long as possible. (ex my Mercedes is from 1996 !! and i can still get any needed part for it)

Best regards

Peter from Brazil

AIRPORT EXTREME 1. GENERATION

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.