Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro M1 Battery maximum capacity is 98% in 30 cycle count.

I using my Macbook Pro M1 for 3 months. I use my mac plugged in maximum time. I don't do any heavy tasks too. Yesterday I noticed the maximum battery capacity is 98%. But some of my friends using their mac more than 5 months & their maximum capacity is still 100%. I am worried is there any problem with my mac or it's just a software issue. Can anyone tell me how to fix that?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 8:43 AM

If you mean the Battery percentage listed on the menubar (not a third party app), then this is perfectly normal since macOS now exercises the battery to prevent battery damage for people who keep their laptops plugged into the charger all the time. See these two Apple articles:

If your Mac battery won’t charge completely - Apple Support

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2021 8:43 AM in response to fahimu10

If you mean the Battery percentage listed on the menubar (not a third party app), then this is perfectly normal since macOS now exercises the battery to prevent battery damage for people who keep their laptops plugged into the charger all the time. See these two Apple articles:

If your Mac battery won’t charge completely - Apple Support

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Jul 11, 2021 6:49 PM in response to fahimu10

Health % is a calculation based on a "nominal" or average capacity value. The vagaries of the manufacturing process for lithium batteries means that no two batteries have exactly the same capacity. Calculations use the design or average capacity, not the actual for one individual battery, to calculate health.

This is true independent of the computer brand.

My second MacBook Pro was supposed to have a battery design capacity of 5770 mAh but its actual, per Coconut Battery, was over that. The computer showed 102% for a couple of months until it passed about 15 cycles.

Please don't obsess over a calculation that is, by its basic nature, determined by inexact numbers. You computer battery is just fine.

Jul 12, 2021 11:06 AM in response to fahimu10

In addition to the good advice already posted, I would like to add:

Batteries are a wear item, like the soles of your shoes or tires or brakes on your car. Batteries deteriorate strongly with charge cycling, but they also deteriorate slowly with TIME.

You will eventually have to replace that battery, possibly based on time alone, even if you barely used it for the entire time you owned your computer. Exactly when you will need to replace it varies wildly from battery to battery.

Macbook Pro M1 Battery maximum capacity is 98% in 30 cycle count.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.