Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app on Mac won't open

When I start the Photos app on my Mac I receive this text (The library “Photos Library” is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.)

I recently downloaded the Mac OS Monterey Beta, but I decided to downgrade due to many of my apps didn't open.

What can I do so that I can access my photos

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 11:55 AM

If your library is not an iCloud Photos Library you need to restore the most recent backup of your library that you made before the upgrade to Monterey. It is simply not possible to open a Photos Library from a newer system version in an older version of Photos, because the older version has not been updated to handle the new format of the newer libraries. That is why we need to make a backup copy of the Photos Library in the old format before upgrading to a new system version.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2021 11:55 AM in response to Murph7y

If your library is not an iCloud Photos Library you need to restore the most recent backup of your library that you made before the upgrade to Monterey. It is simply not possible to open a Photos Library from a newer system version in an older version of Photos, because the older version has not been updated to handle the new format of the newer libraries. That is why we need to make a backup copy of the Photos Library in the old format before upgrading to a new system version.

Jul 12, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Murph7y

Hi - So your beta version upgraded the library to the beta format. Now your current version cannot open it.

Do you have your library also in iCloud? If so you're in luck. You can create a new empty library, and sync that with iCloud and it will download all your photos.

If you don't then the only way to downgrade the library - is to use iCloud. You will need a machine running the beta version of Monterey, on that machine sync your upgraded library to iCloud (you will need at least a month of a plan big enough for your complete library). Then back to your current MacOS - new empty library, and sync to iCloud again.

Photos app on Mac won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.