Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove a partition on an external drive

Hi,

I have an external SSD drive, containing two partitions, connected to my Mac. I would like to remove the second partition, but can't figure out how to do this.

In Disk Utility in Mac OS Mojave, the external drive, for some reason, is displayed as two separate physical volumes, each containing one of the partitions. See the image below, where I have marked the two volumes in red. I want to remove the partition called "Extern SSD" and just have one single, large volume that contains the data that is currently in "Work Mac OS".

Could someone please help me solve this?

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 1:42 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 12, 2021 1:53 PM in response to Modjang

If I remember correctly, you can not change or remove partitions once a disk is formatted that way. If this is correct, you will need to copy or back up the files on your partition you want to save onto another disk so you may then use Disk Utility to reformat the drive which will create one partition. Then you can copy the files back onto the reformatted drive.

Remove a partition on an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.