Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Linux on MacBook

I want to install Linux on boot

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 5:22 PM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2021 6:45 PM in response to PFBURPET

I completely agree with @BobTheFisherman.

If there is a reason you need to use Linux on bare metal on a Mac, then you will need to be using a Mac from 2007 to 2015 since Linux does not really support the 2016+ USB-C Macs. Some first gen Intel Macs from 2006 may work with Linux, however, the firmware used at the time for some of them is so poor & broken, that Linux may brick the Mac when updating the Linux bootloader (I bricked two 2006 MacBooks this way). Some Linux distributions are not easy to install on bare metal on a Mac and requires an experienced Linux user to configure. Even then only install Linux to an external drive so that you do not risk any damage to macOS. I never recommend partitioning any drives especially a macOS boot drive since people always choose the wrong sizes and later regret having multiple partitions which usually end up causing the user to completely erase the drive to reinstall macOS.

If you want to run Linux on bare metal, then purchase a standard PC laptop. Linux can run on some very old PCs (best if they have 4GB of RAM), but make sure it is a 64bit CPU since most Linux distributions no longer support 32bit systems.

I think running Linux in a VM will work for the majority of use cases and is the best & safest option especially until you become better acquainted with Linux.

How to install Linux on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.