Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing a query in Safari search bar only uses Yahoo

I recently was going to look something up on Google and as usual I simply typed it into the search bar, however when the page loaded it was Yahoo! instead of google. I then went into the Safari Preferences and it showed my search engine as Google. I am on a 13" mis 2020 refurbished intel MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 6:58 AM

One might have been hijacked by some piece of malware.

Suggest downloading from a Trusted Developer and Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2021 6:58 AM in response to cedar128

One might have been hijacked by some piece of malware.

Suggest downloading from a Trusted Developer and Respected ASC Contributor the application Malwarebytes for Mac. It is free or paid for added features. Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

There are no known Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS. There are Malware and Adware that does affect macOS and are often times downloaded as part of an Application from Third Party UnTrusted Site and get installed along with the Application.

Typing a query in Safari search bar only uses Yahoo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.