Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lag on MBP 16

my MacBook Pro 16 (core i9 2.3ghz, radeon 5500m 4gb, 1tb storage, 16gb ram, bootcamp partition) is lagging recently, I haven't downloaded anything im just doing my normal work like surfing the internet, using discord and stuff. I noticed its been very laggy on everything, from the animations to loading times. its especially obvious on YouTube I did a screen capture of the problem down below. it basically froze and recover after 10 seconds, and it even lags when I do nothing, like im watching a YouTube video and it just freezes for a couple of seconds. its clearly not YouTube as its system wide and I can't even use alt-tab during the freeze period. and the login times have increased too. Also on discord, the loading cursor pops up for like 10 seconds. this behavior on such a powerful computer is absolutely unacceptable and I only had I for barely over a year. plz help :(

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 9:56 AM

1. Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, 

and recent kernel panic information. 

The settings stored in NVRAM  depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

2. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans,

and other features.

3. Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

4. If you find your Mac is running slowly, there are a number of potential causes that you can check.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-mac-runs-slowly-mchlp1731/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2021 9:56 AM in response to FeelLikeApple

1. Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, 

and recent kernel panic information. 

The settings stored in NVRAM  depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

2. Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans,

and other features.

3. Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262 Choose the appropriate method.

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

4. If you find your Mac is running slowly, there are a number of potential causes that you can check.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-mac-runs-slowly-mchlp1731/mac

Lag on MBP 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.