Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swollen battery

My original battery is swollen up and unusable. The biggest symptom was not being able to type anything properly with the cursor jumping around all over the place and deleting everything I'd written. Took the battery out and everything is fine.

The question is is there some way of maintaining these things so this won't happen again, or are these just defective batteries? I'm getting a little miffed at the inferiority of our Mac's hardware. I just had to replace the hard drive in my wife's iMac for over $400 and now this. Never had hardware problems like this before with any PC that cost a fraction of what I've spent on my Mac's

I've also read where Snow Leopard may have contributed to this problem. Any truth, or possibility, to that? I bought a 5 copy version of Snow Leopard and was so unimpressed with it that I haven't installed it on the iMac. This is sort of 3 strikes and you're out if Mac doesn't step up and take responsibility for this battery problem.

Not trying to be a troll here, for the most part I love the software, but these hardware problems and Apple's failure to address some of the bugs in Snow Leopard have truly shaken my confidence in the company.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 9:33 AM

Call AppleCare about the battery, because it is a dangerous defect (not related to Snow Leopard) and even if you're out of warranty Apple should replaces it. Do not continue to use the battery.
11 replies

Aug 3, 2010 12:43 PM in response to Jay Bullock

I would be remiss if I did not let folks know how this was handled. After your marvelous advice I made an appointment at our local Apple store. I walked in and the following conversation occurred:

"How can I help you?"

"I have a defective battery (holds battery up)."

"Would you like a new one?"

"Yes, please"

That's it. No questions. Not, when did you buy your computer, nothing. Went to the wall pulled a new one off, installed it and sent me on my way. Between Apple Discussions and service like that, you can't get any better.

Aug 8, 2010 4:05 PM in response to madcat713

I thought I would add my experience. So my Macbook (Mid-2007) had a swollen battery that affected the trackpad clicking. Unfortunately I was just out of warranty by a couple of weeks. I decided to take it in to the Genius Bar anyway. When I told the guy at the Genius Bar about the problem he replaced it no questions asked! So if anybody is has a swollen battery, take it in to the Apple Store and they should help you out no problem.

Aug 15, 2010 8:07 PM in response to j9lane9w

My battery is swollen too. I went to an authorized reseller where I purchase my MacBook last weekend but they asked me to buy a new battery. I told them about this thread and they asked me to call Apple Toll-Free number. So today I called the Toll-Free number and they said it's not covered under any replacement program! So they ask me to buy a new battery which cost me a fortune!

Aug 15, 2010 8:59 PM in response to Dr. Adi

I think the key word here is reseller. I went to an Apple store. A reseller (Best Buy, etc.) has no interest in solving customer services issues, they just want to sell stuff. Also, communing with Apple care over the Internet is a lot different than confronting a customer in an Apple store who's waving around one of their products that looks like it's going to explode.

Swollen battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.