Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple shouldn’t make being on a WiFi network a requirement to complete backups. My iPhone hasn’t been backed up for months bcuz u don’t have WiFi anywhere . We should be able to do this over our cellular data accounts

Does anybody know how to backup your device or update your software when you don’t have a WiFi network to use? I pay for extra backup storage but am unable to even backup my phone for months or get the last 2 software updates bcuz of the lame WiFi network requirement to do either. We should be able to use cellular data to do both. Apple is causing me to be at risk for anything the updates cover and have out of date backups for no good reason. Cellular data is safer than WiFi networks anyway.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 5:31 PM

That has to do with the technology itself. First decided when 2G/3G networks were here, and even 4G, which still drains considerably amount of power and still doesn't have enough speed for a quick transfer. It also affects data plans, but they're now bigger or even unlimited. It was a good decision 'til now.

Well, 5G is here and Apple is changing it on iOS 15, as you can see here iOS 15 Preview - Features - Apple. It'll now be possible to backup over cellular data, but only for iPhone 12 and newer with 5G connectivity.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 5:31 PM in response to tracyskarma

That has to do with the technology itself. First decided when 2G/3G networks were here, and even 4G, which still drains considerably amount of power and still doesn't have enough speed for a quick transfer. It also affects data plans, but they're now bigger or even unlimited. It was a good decision 'til now.

Well, 5G is here and Apple is changing it on iOS 15, as you can see here iOS 15 Preview - Features - Apple. It'll now be possible to backup over cellular data, but only for iPhone 12 and newer with 5G connectivity.

Jul 22, 2021 3:28 PM in response to Rafael Scheid

Thank you for the info, but again I’ll be left out of the loop of being able to update or backup over 5G bcuz I have a 11xr. Just my usual luck to miss out by just a lil bit.

Too bad they’re not going back farther…like to iPhone 7 or 8. It just seems like the customers should be able to make the decision whether or not to update over their data plans or not. Like you said, most all data plans are unlimited now so it really doesn’t matter or cost any extra.

Even if I do find a secured WiFi network I’m not usually staying in that spot for the length of time it takes to complete the update and backup and have had to stop it in the middle many times. It takes way too long to to either of them.

Anyway , I appreciate the info. Have a great day!🙂

Apple shouldn’t make being on a WiFi network a requirement to complete backups. My iPhone hasn’t been backed up for months bcuz u don’t have WiFi anywhere . We should be able to do this over our cellular data accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.