Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

linking Macbooks with different OS

I have an old 2013 Macbook Pro running OS High Sierra (for Quickbook Pro limitations) and am buying a new Macbook Pro running OS Big Sur. I would like to link the two MBs so that I can run Quickbooks on the old Macbook via the new Macbook running OS BigSur. First, is this possible? Second if it is do I need the lightning cable? Finally, if it is possible, can I keep the old Macbook on with the lid closed while doing this?

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 5:49 PM

mtjag7 wrote:

I would like to link the two MBs so that I can run Quickbooks on the old Macbook via the new Macbook running OS BigSur. First, is this possible?

If both of these notebooks are connected to the same local network, then you could access the old MB from the new one ... but you would still be running Quickbooks on the old MB; just accessing from the new one. This would be done with OS X/macOS Screen Sharing feature.

Second if it is do I need the lightning cable?

No cable would be required if both MBs are connected to the same local network ... either by Ethernet or by wireless.

Finally, if it is possible, can I keep the old Macbook on with the lid closed while doing this?

Potentially, yes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2021 5:49 PM in response to mtjag7

mtjag7 wrote:

I would like to link the two MBs so that I can run Quickbooks on the old Macbook via the new Macbook running OS BigSur. First, is this possible?

If both of these notebooks are connected to the same local network, then you could access the old MB from the new one ... but you would still be running Quickbooks on the old MB; just accessing from the new one. This would be done with OS X/macOS Screen Sharing feature.

Second if it is do I need the lightning cable?

No cable would be required if both MBs are connected to the same local network ... either by Ethernet or by wireless.

Finally, if it is possible, can I keep the old Macbook on with the lid closed while doing this?

Potentially, yes.

linking Macbooks with different OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.