Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text to Speech Issues.

Hey,

So I've had similar issues to ones posted before, except I haven't had any success fixing it with the methods provided. At least not long term.

Every time I go to Accessibility Settings and have even deleted and de selected all they voices that aren't the better sounding versions of Male and Female Siri, I will select siri, which will work for a while then somehow switch back to the annoying and ugly sounding Alex voice, which I thought to have de selected and deleted.

Then found that online people are suggesting that the voices folder path is:

~/* or /System/Library/Speech/Voices

But found nothing there, and instead in a folder path right below:

/System/Library/SpeechBase/Voices

Could this be a lead or reason to the problem? And why I keep having to change it back manually?

I sort of looks like a glitch to, and Is very tiny and hard to spot, but looks like the voice list in accessibility are somehow on top of one another if you look very closely... At the 1st letters of each name...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 11:41 AM

Howdy,

Have you updated to Big Sur 11.5.1 yet? If not, please update and test.

I was having the same issue on my MBPro 16". I would set it to a favorite voice but on restart it would revert back to Alex.

I deleted the preference file that contains the setting: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.speech.voice.prefs.plist yet after choosing my preferred voice, on restart Alex was back.

Interestingly, checking the Preference file after restart, it still had my preferred voice listed even though System Prefs had changed back to Alex.

Odd...

I haven't seen the issue since the 11.5.1 update.

ivan

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 11:41 AM in response to CONCEPT-Chrys.

Howdy,

Have you updated to Big Sur 11.5.1 yet? If not, please update and test.

I was having the same issue on my MBPro 16". I would set it to a favorite voice but on restart it would revert back to Alex.

I deleted the preference file that contains the setting: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.speech.voice.prefs.plist yet after choosing my preferred voice, on restart Alex was back.

Interestingly, checking the Preference file after restart, it still had my preferred voice listed even though System Prefs had changed back to Alex.

Odd...

I haven't seen the issue since the 11.5.1 update.

ivan

Text to Speech Issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.