Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download apps on Apple tv

I can't download apps for my apple tv. It tells.me I need to create an iTunes account using an ios device and I don't have one.

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 11:40 PM

You will need an Apple ID account that is valid for the iTunes Store and App Store.

That means:

- Having an Apple ID account or creating one,

- For new accounts/email addresses: Validating the used email address, by responding to the verification message,

- Adding all the needed personal details to your account, such as name, billing address, date of birth, payment method, and a preferably also a ‘trusted device’ for two-factor authentication.

Then sign in for the App Store again.

Manage your Apple ID account - Apple

About creating a new Apple ID - Apple Support

If you see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes
If you created a new Apple ID on the web and see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes, follow the steps below for your device: 
• On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Open Settings, then tap "Sign into device" and sign in with your Apple ID.
• On a Mac: Choose Apple menu ﹥System Preferences, then select Apple ID and sign in with your Apple ID
• On an Apple TV: Sign in to the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Music with your Apple ID. 
• On a PC: Sign in to iTunes with your Apple ID.
• On an Android device: Sign in to Apple Music on Android with your Apple ID.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2021 11:40 PM in response to Appletvisfrustrating

You will need an Apple ID account that is valid for the iTunes Store and App Store.

That means:

- Having an Apple ID account or creating one,

- For new accounts/email addresses: Validating the used email address, by responding to the verification message,

- Adding all the needed personal details to your account, such as name, billing address, date of birth, payment method, and a preferably also a ‘trusted device’ for two-factor authentication.

Then sign in for the App Store again.

Manage your Apple ID account - Apple

About creating a new Apple ID - Apple Support

If you see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes
If you created a new Apple ID on the web and see a message that you need to sign in to iTunes, follow the steps below for your device: 
• On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Open Settings, then tap "Sign into device" and sign in with your Apple ID.
• On a Mac: Choose Apple menu ﹥System Preferences, then select Apple ID and sign in with your Apple ID
• On an Apple TV: Sign in to the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Music with your Apple ID. 
• On a PC: Sign in to iTunes with your Apple ID.
• On an Android device: Sign in to Apple Music on Android with your Apple ID.

Jul 18, 2021 3:38 PM in response to alistair111

How do I create/set up an iTunes Store Account?

See above. If you have a personal Apple ID account in use (iPhone, iPad, Mac, iTunes on Windows, Apple Music on Android), then use that. If you don’t have an Apple ID account yet, then create a new one.

need this to set up Netflix on AppleTV, but there is NO mechanism to set up this account

An option for new account creation should be presented during setup. If you got a not-new device from someone else, then reset to factory settings first, so that you can personalize and set up as ‘new’.

Can't download apps on Apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.