Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to recover deleted files from trash

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 2:10 AM

8 replies

Aug 8, 2021 9:38 PM in response to gailfromlambertville

I accidently put important files into the trash bin and the deleted - pretty dumb I know. I was looking online, trying to find any answer to help me get them back - nothing helpful. I contacted Official Apple Support - apple could not help me get my files back, they gave me no clear answer, just sorry, can't do anything, once you have cleaned out your trash, they are gone, especially if they are on the icloud drive, which by the way, they had been "saved" to, but where not there and were not restored either. They were not retrievable by time machine, or the backup disk I had or any other method they knew of. So, I

what I did was restart my computer, hit Command plus R for Restore as it was rebooting, and restored it to a point before I deleted my trash. I took the files I knew I needed out out of the trash, and everything is just as it was before I made the error. This is something I think that the tech support at Apple should know what to do as it is such a very very very simple solution to the issue of getting back deleted files and not complicated at all. Hope this helps anyone else who gets into this predicament!

Jul 18, 2021 2:31 AM in response to wishgifts

If your macs internal drive is an SSD then it is nearly impossible to recover deleted files.

If your mac has a conventional spinning hard drive stop using the mac right now.

The more you use the mac the more likely the mac will overwrite the sections of disk where

the files were stored as they have now become available to be overwritten.

There is recovery software you can buy that probably has a free trial where they can identify

deleted files, but you will need to buy the software to do the recovery.

There are no guarantees that the recovery will work even if you buy it.

There are professional data recovery companies that will charge you lots of money to

recover data but again there is no guarantee it will work.

Why did you delete these files if you needed them, and why were they in the Trash in the first place.

Do you not have backups of your mac that you can restore the data back to your mac.

Aug 2, 2021 2:20 PM in response to Eau Rouge

This "answer" is not helpful: "Why did you delete these files if you needed them, and why were they in the Trash in the first place." I too moved files to Trash after trying to copy them to Documents. The copy failed and now I lost the files. How can I restore this on a new Mac Pro?

Mac Pro is so inferior to PC. The file organization on this Mac is terrible, PC is so much more efficient. Everything takes 20 steps where on PC you just cut and paste. I'll end up buying another PC for general use and just use this one for photos.

Folks, PCs let you recover Trash files for 30 days. Sell your Macs and get PCs!!

Also the help given by Apple to new users of Macs is atrocious. I am appalled at the previous answer.

Useless computer.

Aug 3, 2021 8:48 AM in response to Ronasara

Ok but I will look for Apple Care support then, not users, although this FAQ site was linked on apple.com by the Apple company. It wasn't my question originally, but it's true that MacBook is not as easy to use as PC. It's incomprehensible that I don't see a Trash Bin icon or folder anywhere and my Word and PDF files disappear so easily. Badly designed machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.