Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD, unable to install OS, flashing ?

2009 24" iMac. HD died.

Installed new 250GB SSD from OWC.

Have 'InstallMasOSX.pkg' (El Capitan) on USB.

No matter what combo of keys I hold down when starting it ALWAYS ends up with white screen/flashing folder/question mark. Both with & without USB plugged in.

(Command/R; Command/option/P/R; Option; Shift; Command/option/R; Command/option/shift/R;) Have hi speed Ethernet connected.

The ONLY time I've seen a black screen is during 'Command/option/P/R' and that's only for a second between the two 'tones' during startup - then it goes white/flashing/?

Virtually everything I can find says boot from recovery; use disk utility; blah, blah blah...

NONE of these work since I cannot get past the flashing ?

Yes I know the flashing ? indicates cannot locate OS - well how do I install the OS is my big issue?

What am I missing?

(Much more of this and i'll need surgery on my hand from pressing the odd grouping of keys while starting so many times - trying to stay lighthearted in view of my extreme frustration ;-( If I had more hair I would have pulled it all out long ago!

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 1:01 PM

What did you do to have InstallMacOSX.pkg on the USB, did you just drag it onto the USB.

You cannot install El Capitan that way.

You need to make a bootable USB installer flash drive by following the instructions below.

You will need to borrow another mac in order to do this now as your mac has no OS installed

on it.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan.

This includes macs that have the potential to run El Capitan but have been upgraded to a newer OS.

A mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

Create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications 

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Having created the bootable USB installer Restart your mac and boot to the USB installer.

From theUtilities window that opens select Disk Utility.

Highlight the Disk in the left hand panel (the Disk will be called after the SSD manufacturer)

not any indented Volumes.

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a name.

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When Done quit Disk Utility.

Select Install OS X press Continue.

The installation procedure should begin follow the on screen prompts.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 1:01 PM in response to rich56kk

What did you do to have InstallMacOSX.pkg on the USB, did you just drag it onto the USB.

You cannot install El Capitan that way.

You need to make a bootable USB installer flash drive by following the instructions below.

You will need to borrow another mac in order to do this now as your mac has no OS installed

on it.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan.

This includes macs that have the potential to run El Capitan but have been upgraded to a newer OS.

A mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

Create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications 

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Having created the bootable USB installer Restart your mac and boot to the USB installer.

From theUtilities window that opens select Disk Utility.

Highlight the Disk in the left hand panel (the Disk will be called after the SSD manufacturer)

not any indented Volumes.

Click Erase.

Give the Disk a name.

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When Done quit Disk Utility.

Select Install OS X press Continue.

The installation procedure should begin follow the on screen prompts.

Jul 18, 2021 3:24 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Well that all makes perfect sense.

I'm currently in progress using a 2017 MacBook Air (which currently runs 10.14 Mojave) for the 'create a bootable installer' step; it all is going exactly per your instructions. Although somewhat daunting (as was the SSD installation) just following your guidance step by step has worked perfectly... this was very educational and I appreciate your help!

So I thank you for your detailed and fast response to my conundrum! YOU. ARE. THE. BEST.

New SSD, unable to install OS, flashing ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.