Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth microphone not working

I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD458BT bluetooth headphones for the past year or so with my Apple devices - a 2017 MacBook Air, a 2020 MacBook Pro, and an iPhone 11. I am able to use the microphone on the MBP and the iPhone perfectly, but on the Air, the mic doesn't work (output works fine on all 3 devices). To be clear, yes, I did switch the input device to the headphone's mic, but it doesn't detect any audio. The mic doesn't even seem to turn on when connected to the Air.

So, clearly, this is not an issue with the headphones and has something to do with the Air. I have tried unpairing and re-pairing the headphones, resetting the bluetooth module (on the Air), as well as the slightly drastic step of resetting the NVRAM. None of that fixed the problem. Any idea how I can try and get things working as usual?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 7:44 AM

Hi there anubhav6,

From what we can tell, the microphone on your Bluetooth headphones isn't working with your MacBook Air, but it's working with your other Apple devices. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To begin, have you had the chance to test the issue in a new user account? If not, give that a try and let us know your results. The support article below provides step-by-step instructions for creating a new user account:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Also, let's try isolating the issue with safe mode to help us determine the next best steps. Follow the steps here to boot your Mac up in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the microphone works in safe mode, restart your Mac to boot up normally, and test for the issue again.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 7:44 AM in response to anubhav6

Hi there anubhav6,

From what we can tell, the microphone on your Bluetooth headphones isn't working with your MacBook Air, but it's working with your other Apple devices. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To begin, have you had the chance to test the issue in a new user account? If not, give that a try and let us know your results. The support article below provides step-by-step instructions for creating a new user account:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Also, let's try isolating the issue with safe mode to help us determine the next best steps. Follow the steps here to boot your Mac up in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the microphone works in safe mode, restart your Mac to boot up normally, and test for the issue again.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Jul 27, 2021 10:29 AM in response to anubhav6

anubhav6,

You're certainly welcome. We appreciate you taking the time to test the issue in safe mode, and you're on the right track. If the behavior with the microphone on your Bluetooth headphones continues while your Mac is in safe mode, the next best step is to reinstall macOS.

The only suggestion we have would be to ensure you have a recent backup before completing the reinstall. Have a look at the support articles below for more information:

Back up your Mac

How to reinstall macOS

We hope this information is helpful. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care.

Bluetooth microphone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.