Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to set up guest user

I am running macOS 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2019.

I open System Preferences > Users & Groups.

'Guest User' is visible, but greyed out and not click-able.

I unlock the lock at bottom left of window.

'Guest User' is then available. When I click on that, the box next to "Allow guests to log in to this computer" is already checked.

I click and lock the lock. 'Guest User' again becomes greyed out.

I log off of my machine.

The log in screen comes up, but Guest User is not available.

I restart, just to make sure. But again when it comes back up, Guest User is not available.

How can I allow my guest to login via as 'Guest User'

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:14 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 19, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I went into System Preferences, Users & Groups, unlocked, un-checked Guest User, locked, exited System Preferences.

Immediately went back into System Preference, U&G...Guest User was still checked???

I decided to log out of my machine.

The logon screen now had the choice either me or Guest User. I clicked into Guest User, everything worked as expected - Safari worked fine; no access to any other part of the machine.

Logged out and back in as myself. Checked Users & Groups. Guest user is greyed out.

I think this is very bizarre behavior, but at least I know how to do what I want, so I'll close this for now. I may open it as a bug for support in the future.

Thanks!!!

unable to set up guest user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.