Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I really need to use FileVault?

I don't have the recovery key for my FileVault. I am the only user of my computer and anybody trying to use it would still need my password to access my computer. Do I really need to use file vault?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 1:07 PM

FileVault is optional. An hourly Time Machine backup is more important. A Filevault encrypted drive is a walled garden of protection against those without the password, whether intended or unintended users alike.

Unless you are working on mission-critical content that requires drive encryption, then don't use it. I never have.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 1:07 PM in response to CrazyDogChick

FileVault is optional. An hourly Time Machine backup is more important. A Filevault encrypted drive is a walled garden of protection against those without the password, whether intended or unintended users alike.

Unless you are working on mission-critical content that requires drive encryption, then don't use it. I never have.

Do I really need to use FileVault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.