Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidently deleted iTunes folder file

Hello! I was told "Music" replaced "iTunes" (just in general - as in the product itself) so I saw the iTunes folder and deleted it. Long behold, all my music in Music now can not be found and that's ok - I'm sorting that, however my question is please, do I and how do I create a new file folder then called iTunes and how to I route things back into that which I apparently may need to function? Strange because when I did check the iTunes folder before dealing I saw no current files, only from the previous year, so I had then presumed certainly Music was no longer using the folder iTunes.

Would this explain the error and if so, how would I go about recreating a iTunes folder please and ensuring Music saves in there, again.

I've had a look and exhausted all other options/research. Thank you!

I am using a Macbook Pro.

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 12:10 PM

Ember12 wrote:

My question therefore then is:
a) Is it necessary to have an iTunes folder? (once again I thought 'Music' replaced 'iTunes')

No. It is typical to have a legacy iTunes folder on a Mac that was once running Mojave or earlier and is now running Catalina or later. You don't need to recreate it if you're starting fresh. The media folder for a legacy library would be ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. You should be using the new standard which is ~/Music/Music/Media. Put your content in there before adding to Music or use the Automatically Add to Music folder inside.

b) If so, how do I go about creating the iTunes folder and syncing whatever that will be used for with the Music platform with.

Not necessary, see a).

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 12:10 PM in response to Ember12

Ember12 wrote:

a) Is it necessary to have an iTunes folder? (once again I thought 'Music' replaced 'iTunes')

No. It is typical to have a legacy iTunes folder on a Mac that was once running Mojave or earlier and is now running Catalina or later. You don't need to recreate it if you're starting fresh. The media folder for a legacy library would be ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. You should be using the new standard which is ~/Music/Music/Media. Put your content in there before adding to Music or use the Automatically Add to Music folder inside.

b) If so, how do I go about creating the iTunes folder and syncing whatever that will be used for with the Music platform with.

Not necessary, see a).

tt2

Jul 20, 2021 1:58 PM in response to Ember12

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community. Hopefully you have a Time Machine or other backup of the iTunes Media folder that you can restore, or failing that you can recover content from a device. When you upgrade from Mojave or earlier to Catalina or later then iTunes is replaced with the Music app, but typically that will pick up media from the old iTunes Media folder.

tt2

Jul 20, 2021 5:40 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello! Thank you for this link - I have thoroughly read this now and just on reference of my initial enquiry this link doesn't infact answer my question. I'm not interested in backing up the now deleted (in it's entirity) iTunes library. I don't want to, it's ok, I found my missing song files and manually reinstalled each of them.

However my question still remains, that I no longer have an 'iTunes' folder.... only a 'Music' one.

Does this make sense?

At current I have no iTunes folder and want to know if that is a bad thing?

If need any further information, my initial question explains some more :)

Love to have some insights as the links and info here and I've researched, don't answer my query. I'm not interested in backing up (and infact, anyway, can't - didn't have one).

Thank you!

Accidently deleted iTunes folder file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.