Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro M1 Chip randomly Dropping WiFi

I am having the same issue as many others with the wifi randomly dropping out then reconnecting on my new MacBook Pro with M1 Chip. Network is running perfectly and I have tried two different networks, one the Wireless Modem router and now Google Mesh System. My Mac is the only computer in the office having drop outs. Drops out, then reconnects, then repeats. Seems like nobody has found a solution yet. I'd be keen to know if anyone has reached a solution through Apple support.

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 10:52 PM

Extra to above. I didn't mention it is not just a wifi drop out but the WiFi actually turns off then turns itself back on after about 20 seconds and reconnects again. I have tried 2.4 and 5GHz networks and same issue. Now interestingly on the weekend I was working from home and was using my iPad Pro as a sidecar. In this case the wifi connection stayed on (didn't turn off at all) and it maintained a connection to the iPad via network or then by direct connection as the network connection dropped out, but this time it would not reconnect and it could not even find the original network again, unless I connected to another network and only then could it see the original network and allow me to manually reconnect.

Not sure if I have explained this properly?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2021 10:52 PM in response to sohardtofindaname

Extra to above. I didn't mention it is not just a wifi drop out but the WiFi actually turns off then turns itself back on after about 20 seconds and reconnects again. I have tried 2.4 and 5GHz networks and same issue. Now interestingly on the weekend I was working from home and was using my iPad Pro as a sidecar. In this case the wifi connection stayed on (didn't turn off at all) and it maintained a connection to the iPad via network or then by direct connection as the network connection dropped out, but this time it would not reconnect and it could not even find the original network again, unless I connected to another network and only then could it see the original network and allow me to manually reconnect.

Not sure if I have explained this properly?

Jul 20, 2021 12:47 PM in response to sohardtofindaname

The assertion has been made that when connected to an 80MHz channel in the 5GHz band, the M1 Wi-Fi may become confused and drop the connection.

If you have access to Router settings, lowering your Router to a 40MHz channel appears to be a good work-around until the issue is solved. (80 MHz channel may only be practical in 5GHz band on Wi-Fi-5 or Wi-Fi-6 routers)

If you can select 2.4GHz band and stay with that, that is another way to work-around.

Jul 20, 2021 12:30 PM in response to sohardtofindaname

Hey sohardtofindaname,

It sounds like you have some concerns with your MacBook Pro's internet disconnecting.

Check out this resource to go though Wireless Diagnostics, as this can help check for any obvious issues: If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Also be sure that there isn't any potential interference that could be affecting the connection:  Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support.

Also try resetting the SMC to see if it resolves the issue: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support.

Take care. 

Jul 24, 2021 10:53 AM in response to sohardtofindaname

Out of the box, my new M1 iMac achieved wifi connection speeds only half that of other older devices I tested in the same room. I eventually discovered my 3 year old router needed adjustments (for the first time). Using the online manual I was able to open the router control panel, check that the latest router software is installed and set the router to recognise wifi type 8011ac. I am now getting the best speeds currently available from my incoming landline.

Mac Book Pro M1 Chip randomly Dropping WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.